Monkey Cake First Birthday

Decorating By rudoo Updated 3 Jan 2009 , 7:32pm by jibbies

rudoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rudoo Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone! I am making my daughter a monkey cake for her 1st birthday-cause she's a little monkey! icon_razz.gif I want to do 2 round cakes stacked and have fondant monkeys on it. Now what I need to know... how far in advance can I make these monkeys? I want to start practicing and if I get a good one, I want to keep it. Her birthday is Feb 20th. I was thinking maybe I'll get some Fimo or clay to practice first, then start w/ fondant begining of Feb. ? Or should I use Gumpaste? Never worked w/it. Thanks for any halp! Also, any great pictures for ideas would be fantastic! icon_biggrin.gif Jonna

4 replies
jennabell441 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennabell441 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 5

I just made a fondant monkey for a baby shower last weekend...so simple. Check out my photos and if it something you would like pm me.

HTH
Jen

Sweettooth1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettooth1120 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 5

I made a monkey cake for my daughters bday. It was monkeys jumping on the bed. I made them with a 50/50 Fondant & gumpaste mixture so they didnt dry out as fast while working on them but they dried hard. This was for her birthday last January and they are still together and look great. She insisted on keeping them.

You can check my pics for the cake.

Kim

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 5

I have made a couple of monkey cakes. The fist couple of times, I used a fondant gumpaste mix. Let them dry for a while and plopped them onto the cake. They were kept afterward and are still together now. (I wouldn't eat them, though!!!!!)

As for my last, and favorite, monkey cake, I used candy clay. I found it super easy to work with and it held it's shape much better. Which, in turn, allowed me to make the pieces and put them together right away (I hated having squished fondant characters because I was always too impatient to allow enough drying time prior to assembly)

I am going to attempt a link...If it doesn't work, pics are in my photos...
LL
LL
LL

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 5

Go to the cake gallery, click on search, type monkey in the box, 24 pages of monkey cakes will come up. Pm the makers of the ones you like and get advice.

Jibbies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%