If You Won The Mega Lottery What Would You Do?

Decorating By quilting2011 Updated 3 Jan 2009 , 1:20am by dldbrou

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 1:24am
post #1 of 33

I usually don't play but I felt lucky today. If you won the mega lottery what would you do.

My husband and I would move to be near his family in New Mexico, I'd buy large acre of land,

Start a camp for deaf kids
-teach accounting at a college or senior center for free.

-make sure my kids and family are provided for (college tuition etc.)

-teach vegan cake decorating classes.

-teach yoga and run a yoga studio in New Mexico

-my husband would quit his job as a computer science professor, study yoga in India for one year and teach yoga fulltime

-take my kids everyone summer to visit National parks.

=just enjoy being with my family and friends.

32 replies
mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 1:40am
post #2 of 33

my husband and i play this game on long trips...it's funny to see how our priorities change and how we have been able to fulfill some of the desires without being millionaires!

#1. pay off my parents house/car debts, along with my brother's. and build each of them a smaller but spacious house to live happily ever after in, along with new cars and insurance always paid up. i would also buy them health insurance!!!

#2. hire a personal business consultant and come up with the business plan and design for my shop, which i would then put in place when i bought a historic home downtown on the square and turned it into "sugarbabies" headquarters.

#3. pay off my inlaws for the money they put into our new home.

#4. build them a spacious new home with appliances that are new...unlike the one's they have now, which are from the 60's.

#5. set up a secret account for my daughter that she could access when i deemed necessary, that would be for her to spend however she wanted.

#6. random acts of kindness!!! i love that kind of stuff!!!!!!!

#7.real estate and many other investments.

#8. actually buy myself some decent clothes for a change and make myself wear them!! it seems like i'm always in fuzzy pj's and an apron,with a do-rag, no makeup, and covered in icing!!!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 1:50am
post #3 of 33

Pay of my house and cars, then put it in a high yield account and live off the interest.

Not sexy, but, security is always nice!

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:01am
post #4 of 33

Pay off our home and then Bless some really needy family with it...it's just way too big for us. Buy a smaller home. Bank the rest and just LIVE by doing what God tells us to do. Whatever that may be. With Him in control we couldn't go wrong.

want2bcupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
want2bcupcakequeen Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:05am
post #5 of 33

1. Buy/build a house with a beautiful kitchen with a utility garage for my fancy new Kitchen Aid mixer.
2. Pay off debts and buy a car.
3. Buy a beach house.
4. Buy a condo in the mountains so my son could snowboard frequently.
5. Charity donations to help foster kids that are aging out of the system.

I would not quit my job. Even with all of that money it would be hard for me to buy health insurance so I would work until I could retire and get health benefits. I would also try to keep the winning secret so I wouldn't be hit up by a lot of new "friends and families".

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:09am
post #6 of 33

Those who teach touch the future.....

so in addition to the usual litany (bills, house, savings, relatives, church)....

endow multiple:

1) scholarships for students to attend college to major in teaching of subjects near and dear to my heart

2) chairs -- aka -- professorships so the universities could maintain/expand their staffs to make sure those subjects I want taught are taught.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:20am
post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundtdiva

.... I'd buy large acre of land,

As opposed to one of those SMALL acres? icon_lol.gif

I couldn't resist! There's a legend story in hubby's family. He was working at the family business when he was a kid. Some "old guy" (as the story goes, according to hubby) told hubby-the-kid to get him a gallon bucket. Hubby-the-kid brings the gallon bucket. Old guy starts yelling at him because, "I didn't want one of those LITTLE gallon buckets! I wanted a BIG gallon bucket!"

So now, whenever we need milk, we make sure to tell the other to get a BIG gallon of milk, not a LITTLE gallon of milk! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

But what I would do after I paid off everything I owe, set up trust funds for my kids, is visit my favorite city in the world ... LAS VEGAS!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

And in trying to be serious for a second ... Doug, I'm with ya. I have always wanted to set up a scholarship fund in my father in law's name for kids who are heading to a vocational college. FIL is a AWESOME guy who I admire very much and he has so much common-business-sense it's not even funny! thumbs_up.gif

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:42am
post #8 of 33

You know, this is harder to answer than I thought it would be!

After giving some to our kids and paying off all debts..I would build a large facility that would house a large room for charitable groups to meet in..free of charge of course, it would also have a decorating supply store and my kitchen of course and a hall.

There are soooo many foundations and organizations that need monies, I would pick the ones that have touched my life in one way or another. I would give money to families that have children in need of life saving services and do no have funds available for it. Some would go to domestic abuse shelters, lupus foundation and organizations that depends on donations for support.

If it's a MEGA I'm sure there would be enough for all I would want to give to. But then again, I have a better chance of being struck by lightening in the middle of winter. Since it's below zero here, I don't think I'll wait outside for that to happen lol.

Thanks for the escape from reality for a couple of minutes

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 4:18am
post #9 of 33

Those who teach touch the future.....
Doug I so agree!

quilting2011 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 7:12am
post #10 of 33

Here in NY its 2009. Back to reality. I guess we are stuck in our little apartment here in NY with hubby, and the triplets.

We did not go to time square. Stayed home, had hot chocolate with marshmellows, watched the Dick Clark special, and called friends and family to wish them a happy new 2009.

Wishing all of you a happy new year. I hope 2009 will be a better year for cc members.

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 7:22am
post #11 of 33

1. DH would quit working and open his own business.
2. Build a new home with enough rooms for when everyone comes to visit and a HUGE kitchen so I can do my cakey stuff!
3. Pay off parents homes and vehicles
4. Buy new vehicles for me and DH
5. invest the rest and donate half of the interest every year to childrens charities

miscue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miscue Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 8:05am
post #12 of 33

#1. I wouldn't quit my job, but I'd definatly drop back to a casual position - that would give me more time to do more with my money!

#2. Go to vegas (baby yeah!).... while I'm in America I would buy as much cake dec stuff as possible.

#3. Sensible stuff like pay off mortage, savings account, look after family.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 8:44am
post #13 of 33

pay off student loans and buy a home with a spacious kitchen that opens up to the family room, I've always loved kitchens that open up to family rooms. Makes me want a family! Then donate some to rehab centers for substance abuse and invest the rest
If only, if only.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 8:59am
post #14 of 33

1. Donate some to missionary friends/church
2. PAY OFF ALL MY STINKIN' DEBTS!!!!!
3. Beef up my retirement fund
4. Move someplace warmer than Iowa so my husband will quit getting sick all the time. Like maybe Texas.
5. Hire someone to watch my kids so I can go to the gym on a regular basis
6. Open an awesome cake place, or work at one to pick up some more skills
7. Open some revolving CD's so we can live off the interest
8. Let my husband relax and quit having panic attacks... Poor guy...

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 9:08am
post #15 of 33

The big joke in our house is if we win, we split it down the middle.....because I would give my half away and then DH would need to support me icon_smile.gif

I would take care of my friends and family and set up college funds for my kids and all of theirs.....bigger house on a bit of land....a car that runs regularly icon_smile.gif then I would probably open a bakery, lol.

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 9:40am
post #16 of 33

First, if I was still alive and kicking after winning...get a lawyer to give us advice, if not...then I guess 1st. thing DH would do, is pick out a place to lay me to rest.
2. I would help my son and his 2 babies out, lift his heavy loads, and lift my worries. Then I would have a big award made, making him "Father of the year".
3. Help my daughter and my granddaughter out with all they need help with. Invest in my grandbabies future.
4. Pay our home off, our bills, my DH's 18 wheeler, then buy him a few more, if he wanted them.
5. Help our families out and make a few friends happy also.
6. Give to the church, the schools, give to charities that help children, and cancer research.

I guess I would really invest a lot of it and then I would do all that I could do, to help others in need and follow what ever God tells me in my heart. Oh well, it was a nice dream while it lasted icon_biggrin.gif
God Bless & Happy New Year!,
Sharon

shmibs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shmibs Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 9:53am
post #17 of 33

I would hire someone to clean up after me constantly. Hate the cleaning up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 10:15am
post #18 of 33

***WHEN*** I win I'll let you all know! icon_smile.gif
Susie

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 11:21am
post #19 of 33

TAHITI icon_biggrin.gif lay on the beach, and drink things with umbrellas in them. My biggest expense would be paying the guy that swept out my grass shack.

Mike

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 3:49pm
post #20 of 33

I always joke with my family that I would hire someone to exercise for me! he he !

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 4:59pm
post #21 of 33

I get a kick out of the people who would buy a shop....the first thing I would do is sell mine!!! icon_biggrin.gif It is too much work for someone who has $$$$$$$$ to live on! But I realize people want to fulfill their dreams.

I would give to various needs I see, set up college funds for grandchildren, pay off debts, get a home in the mountains and one by the ocean, and spend alot of time with family.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 5:04pm
post #22 of 33

Open a pastry school (with cheap tiution) and/or endow a fund for lending to first time homeowners, especially those headed by females, in urban areas.

I live in an urban area and was a single parent/single homeowner for many years. It's wasn't easy to keep the house going, pay all the bills, work full time, be a parent and finish my degree.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 5:41pm
post #23 of 33

Probably the first thing I'd do is start planning my house. Nothing huge at all, but set up the way I want it, with an open floor plan and a wonderful kitchen, but enough room for family gatherings for holidays. I'd make it a green house too, very energy efficient. The DH would have to buy his Ferrari (lifelong fantasy). For my celebration, I'd buy a condo on the beach on Sanibel Island, so I could walk the beach and waste my days stooping for shells whenever I felt like it. I think it's one of the most perfect places I've ever been.
But, we'd just want to help the kids get started on their lives and figure out the best way to make donations. I'd have a really, really hard time quitting my job.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 5:50pm
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

I'd have a really, really hard time quitting my job.

When I worked in corporate america, I always said I would NOT quit my job ... it would be too much fun dealing with a$$hole bosses when both of us know that "I dont' HAVE to put up with ANY of your crap! I can walk outta here any dang time I want!"

Course I'd probably only last a week or two before they kicked me to the curb for being .... well ... for being ME! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 5:53pm
post #25 of 33

1. Set up a trust fund for the kids and get their college paid for in cash.
2. Pay off the house and misc. bills.
3. Donate to charities I love.
4. Keep a percentage of the haul, invest it wisely, and use the interest for living expenses.
5. Totally redo the bakery, get lots of cool stuff, not worry if it doesn't pay for itself.
6. Enjoy living debt free.

cakediva1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakediva1982 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 6:02pm
post #26 of 33

The first thing I would do is make a huge donation to St Jude's children's hospital!! Then I would payoff my parents and grandparents bills, houses ect. I would not give my brother's anything until they got a job.... then I would tripple their wages... that way they still have to "earn a living"..lol... Then I would deffinatly open my dream bakery wherever we decided to settle and I would buy a hunting ranch..... and my children would never have to worry about being made fun of because of they clothes they wear because they would have nice clothes for a change not hand me downs...lol.... then I would for sure help out needy families who try, but just can't seem to make it.... I would try and bless as many people as I can with everyday essentails that they may not be able to get!

quilting2011 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 6:12pm
post #27 of 33

That is so great to day dream. I hope everyone had a wonderful new years.

Cakediva - what is a hunting ranch. Sort of like a bed and breakfast for hunters?

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 6:13pm
post #28 of 33

First thing I would do is buy my mom a house. She busts her butt and she deserves it! Then I would buy a house. Not a mansion, a nice cozy house with a good amount of land. Then I'm sure my DH would buy a lot of cars and toys (= Then build a bakery exactly how I want it and hire an awesome decorator ( I'm nooooooowhere near good enough to run a bakery) But I would make sure I had enough money to put the kids through college, if that's what they decide they want to do (=

edited to add..........I would rent some huge place and hava e CC party! So everyone could meet each other and have fun and have some awesome decorators come teach us stuff!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 6:25pm
post #29 of 33

Oh it's so fun (and a little depressing) to daydream about winning the lottery.

1. Buy a house. Not huge, not small...and definitely not in San Antonio..maybe in Austin or Dallas...or hey, one in each city!
2. Buy new furniture for my new house.
3. Pay off debt.
4. Set up college funds for my boys. Don't want them in the position I'm in.
5. Buy my mom a house next door to me.
6. Pay off my mom's debt.
7. Pay off my grandparent's debt.
8. Finish college debt free.
9. Go on a small shopping spree.
10. Invest, so I can live off the interest.
11. Go to Disney World
12. Go to Europe for 3 months.
13. Donate to the ASPCA.
14. Adopt all the animals I can't afford to have now! Dogs, cats, horses, whatever!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 6:30pm
post #30 of 33

This subject has been over thought by me, but here it goes...

15% to my church
10% to help my friends and family, their debts... whatever. Between my husband and I, we have so much family, not as many as some, I'm sure, but if we went around paying everyones debt off, buying them a house... even with a mega lottery, we'd go broke. So, we decided (as I said, over thought) we would set aside a percentage of money for them and then that's it. If we clear a million, it's only $100,000 to give away to friends and fam, if it's more, then it's more...
20% into the bank/investments

10% we just blow through. shopping spree, expensive dinners...

Then, depending on the magnitude of the lottery, we would buy land and build our dream house, which we've already designed, it's not huge, but it's perfect for us. If it was a very big lottery, we would buy a lot of land, and we would design a neighborhood, and as part of our friends and fam 10%, we would work with an architect to build all of their dream houses in our neighborhood. And we would have an awesome community area, with pool tables, and a dart board, and a pool, and a gym in our neighborhood. Of course, staff to take care of all of that, and our lawns, unless someone is into that and wants to take of their lawn. Not me though.

We would set up some charities for things near and dear to us, and donate to others.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%