Stacked Cakes

Decorating By mrsclox Updated 30 Dec 2008 , 6:42pm by mrsclox

mrsclox Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 12:54am
post #1 of 10

Hello there! I have a question about supports for a stacked cake. I have worked with stacking different sized tears (ie 6" on a 9") but what I mean is, if I stack four or five 6"x2" cakes to make a 'tower' that is 8-10" high, do I need to put any dowels or boards in it so the bottom layers don't get squished? I do plan to put a dowel all the way through the center so it doesn't fall over. I hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance!

9 replies
saap1204 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 1:08am
post #2 of 10

I am not a professional but I believe you would have to have some sort of support between all those cakes--both boards and dowels. Hopefully this will bump you to the front where the experts will be able to help you.


sugarshack Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:32am
post #3 of 10

yes! you need a support system of some kind:

plate and pillars
boards and dowels; bubble tea straws
stress free rings
sps system

kakeladi Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:43am
post #4 of 10

One needs support for any amount over 4 or 5" of put a cake board &/or plate along w/dowels, straws, or hidden pillars between each tier (4" of cake).

leah_s Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:45am
post #5 of 10

yep. What kakeladi said.

summernoelle Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:59am
post #6 of 10

You must use dowels (not wooden-preferably SPS, or at least large, plastic tubes). You also must use boards under each cake. Plastic, foamcore, or cardboard that has been wrapped with wax paper. HTH!

IcedTea4Me2 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:00am
post #7 of 10

Ok. I'm going to step up and ask the probably stupid question. Is the SPS system different than the plates and hidden pillars that I see in hobby lobby? If so, what would be a good purchase for a beginner to try SPS? I know it depends on what size cake, etc., but just a very common size beginner package, if you will. Do they sell it piece by piece or can you buy a set? I hope this makes sense.


leah_s Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 12:08pm
post #8 of 10

YES! SPS is different than the Wilton products, in that SPS works waaaaay better. The SPS legs lock securely into the plate and if you bake to the correct height, don't even have to be trimmed. Most anything Wilton is going to be inferior to what I would call professional products. And SPS really doesn't cost more.

SPS comes as separate pieces other than the legs which come in a ba of 12 - enough for a four tier cake. So what you need totally depends on the size of the cake you're making.

Please see my siggy.

cakesbykitty Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 10

dowel, dowel, dowel! put your dowels in and then a board the same size as your next layer... you can never under support a tall cake. If you look at my castle cake that thing had more dowels in it than a new york skyscraper has beams!

mrsclox Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 6:42pm
post #10 of 10

That's what I figured. Thanks for your help ladies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%