Buttercream Layer Under Fondant Question

Decorating By Mel1965 Updated 30 Dec 2008 , 2:02am by sugarshack

Mel1965 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel1965 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 18

Hi everyone....I'm sure there's a thread that answers this question somewhere, but I still have a hard time navitgating around the site to find what I'm looking for, plus, I still tend to be a lurker around here, but....

...I have a real quick question. How thick should the layer of buttercream be underneath a fondant iced cake? Should it be just as thick as only a crumb coating, or as thick as a regular buttercream iced cake? Also, how thick, then, should the fondant layer be?

Thank you all in advance for your help and expertise....this is such a knowledgeable community! Any other fondant advice is also greatly appreciated....I work mostly with buttercream and use fondant accents, but haven't totally covered a cake with fondant (yet!). I'm not too nervous about this order, but I do want to avoid bulges, blowouts, and I want that beautful smooth look that fondant is known for, not to mention I want a happy customer!

17 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 18

You will get different replies on this oneicon_smile.gif
I think it should be almost but not quite as thick as you would if not putting fondant over it.
Others say just a nice, slightly thick, crumb coat.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 18

I personally do it in a thick crumb coat. In my experience when it is too thick you get bubbles and it comes out the bottom of your fondant.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 18

I agree with kakeladi, I like to have a nice layer of buttercream on my cake because not everybody likes fondant. This way, if they don't like fondant they can just pull it off and still have enough buttercream to eat with their cake.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 18

I usually have a heavy crumb coat...I personally like some icing under my fondant when eating the cake....sometimes the fondant is just too much sweets and the icing is a nice balance with the cake. , To much and you get soft sides, that I find hard to get even and smooth and blowouts.

You are just going to experiment and what works best for you. Good luck. It took me a while to get use to fondant....but I love working with it now. I have gotten so much good advice, hints and encouragment from CC members.....

Happy Decorating.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 18

What works best for me is to apply a crumbcoat, chill, and then apply a thicker coat of BC.

When you apply the second coat of BC it goes on so easy and really smooth over the chilled crumbcoat! Now I don't worry about applying my crumbcoat coat perfectly because that second coat makes life easy icon_smile.gif . (Theonly drawback is making sure there will enough BC for 2 coats).

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 18

A medium coating of BC underneath will protect the cake and give the people who dislike fondant some icing with their cake. It really is personal preference. (I do like the idea of putting on a thin crumbcoat and chilling and then applying another coat of BC.)

Mel1965 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 18

Thank you so much, everyone! That does help a great deal....I think I will try that thick crumb coat....seems like it just needs a little more than regular crumb coat, yet enough to have that thicker bit to have with the cake when the fondant gets peeled off and enough to make the fondat smooth without bulging, blowing out, oozing out, etc.

This cake isn't due until March, so I have time to experiment. My customer actually contacted me in October for this March order!

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 8:55pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

What works best for me is to apply a crumbcoat, chill, and then apply a thicker coat of BC.

When you apply the second coat of BC it goes on so easy and really smooth over the chilled crumbcoat! Now I don't worry about applying my crumbcoat coat perfectly because that second coat makes life easy icon_smile.gif . (Theonly drawback is making sure there will enough BC for 2 coats).

MacsMom, do you use a SMBC- or IMBC-type of icing or a standard shortening/butter-based icing?

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 8:57pm
post #10 of 18

I am not an expert icon_redface.gif , I do a heavy crumb coat and it work really good. icon_smile.gif

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:07pm
post #11 of 18

Hey, this feed is really helping me too! I never know what to do. I just start slapping the BC on until I think it's going to work with the fondant. The only thing I'm working on right now is how thick to make the fondant!

MacsMom Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:12pm
post #12 of 18

I use hi-ratio shortening.

I use vanilla creamer instead of milk, add corn starch, meringue powder, salt and flour to the PS to cut back on the overly-sweetness, and I use LoRann butter flavor to give it good flavor. I also whip the shortening for a long time to get light and fluffy before adding the other ingredients.

MacsMom Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:25pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-Ding

The only thing I'm working on right now is how thick to make the fondant!

Roll it out thicker than you might think! I ahven't actually measured the thickness of mine, but it looks so much nicer on a cake because it hides flaws better and gives it better support as the cake settles under it (helps prevent bulging).

Watch Ace of Cakes and try to catch how thick he rolls his.

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 9:51pm
post #14 of 18

Thanks for the info! icon_smile.gif

Bella573 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bella573 Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 11:25pm
post #15 of 18

definately a thin coat- so you can still see the crumbs because you dont want to make it so think that you cant keep it level cuz then the fondant will look bumpy and weird! Also, i just let the cake sit for like an hour, then take it out of the pan ice it then freeze it for 2,3,4 hours then put on fondant and such.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 11:29pm
post #16 of 18

I use only a crumbcoat to get the smoothest reuslt I can.

BUT others use a full coat and do great!

You have to experiment!

Mel1965 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 12:44am
post #17 of 18

I will experiment....you all have been so tremendously helpful! Sugarshack, I totally trust your advice (have two of your DVD's and they're awesome!).

I trust everyone's advice here....I'm addicted to everyone and everything here!

I also use the hi-ratio shortening, and it has made a world of difference in my buttercream, so I have no reason to believe that it won't hold up well under the fondant.

Next question....is 1/8" about right for fondant thickness?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:02am
post #18 of 18

thickness is again personal preference for looks and taste.

some use super thin fondnat over thicker BC and vice versa. I use a little less than 1/4 inch over a CC of BC to get the best look I can get.

Others do different things, and again, you will have to play around and see what you like!!

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%