How Do You Acheive This Look?

Decorating By aminaz Updated 21 Dec 2008 , 8:19pm by leah_s

aminaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminaz Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 5

i've been asked to do a 2 tiered cake that look like gift boxes stacked. how do you acheive the look of the box with a lid on? i know sugarshack does it by rolling a thin gumpaste and leavesit to dry. but i was watching a video on youtube and the woman han fondant on the side only, then placed a cover of fondant on top. does anyone know what i'm talking about?maybe something like in the picture below?
LL

4 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 5

looks to me like what you said. A lid made of gumpaste/fondant (i guess whatever you're more comfortable working with) and set out to dry before being placed on top.

aminaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminaz Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 5

but im sure theres an alternative way. i dont want a thick double layer of fondant on top. please can someone help. i'll send another picture if it helps.
LL

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 5

Cover the sides of the cake w/one piece then lay the top over so it comes down enough. You'll only have dbl thickness at the top of the sides.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 5

What kakelady said. Treat the fondant on the sides like a wide ribbon. And then apply the top square and fold it over the sides. I always have to do some trimming to the top after it's on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%