Applying Luster Dust

Decorating By msnrozier Updated 18 Dec 2008 , 11:11pm by kakeladi

msnrozier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msnrozier Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 1:54am
post #1 of 8

Hello all,

I am sorry if this is a repost, I searched luster dust and applying lust dust, but can't find nothing.

I am trying to make my ornament cakes and wanted to make them shimmer but when I try to apply it, it NEVER shimmers!!!!

I have all colors, but do NOT know how to use them.

I have tried lemon extract and also the vanilla, but nothing.

can someone PLEASE tell me to correct way or UR way of applying dust to make my fondant shimmmmmmer!!!!!!!!!???

PLZ

Nikki

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:15am
post #2 of 8

Are you using Wilton's shimmer dust? I have heard that isn't very great.
If you have a tiny, round pot of actual Super Pearl luster dust it shoud put a shine on the fondant even used dry. There are other dusts like disco; snowflake; and others I can't remember right off.
I was at a shop today & they were priced about $5.50 ea. Wilton's glitter udst was $4 for 0.1oz (3g).
Another ingredients you can use is edible glitter. Wilton's isn't bad. If you get it, crush it very fine (use a wooden spoon handle to crush it in the container really well). This would be sprinkled on a damp surface. Being you are using fondant hyou would have to spray it w/a bit of water OR brush it w/thinned piping gel. BTW I put crushed glitter in a salt shaker w/small holes.

msnrozier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msnrozier Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:23am
post #3 of 8

what I have is all Wiltons shimmer dust, but it's just don't workout for me!
I have some edible glitter, so ur saying crush it and then brush it on the fondant!?

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:30am
post #4 of 8

I find if I am applying lustre dust to fondant that I cover the cake with fondant and then take a blush brush (reserved for cake use only) and dust it on dry (i.e. no vodka, lemon extract or vanilla). It clings to the fondant well enough if you just want a sheen. It wouldn't do the same kind of coverage as if you "painted" it on wet. However, I do this when I want a fondant bow to have a satin type look to it. It's very simple to just lightly dust it on dry.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 8:37am
post #5 of 8

You do not have the correct product. Shimmer dust and edible glitter will not work for this purpose as they simply dissolve in liquid rather than being "suspended" in liquid like the proper dusts. You need luster dust or (if you only have access to Wilton products) Wilton's Pearl Dust. Watch out, once you start using it, it's hard to stop. I often have to force myself to stop dusting my cakes lol.

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 8

Could you also use luster dust to shine up RI on cookies? Or would you recommend something else for that?

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

You do not have the correct product. Shimmer dust and edible glitter will not work for this purpose as they simply dissolve in liquid rather than being "suspended" in liquid like the proper dusts. You need luster dust or (if you only have access to Wilton products) Wilton's Pearl Dust. Watch out, once you start using it, it's hard to stop. I often have to force myself to stop dusting my cakes lol.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 11:06pm
post #7 of 8

You can use luster dust to shine up anything!! I don't know about wet-painting it onto RI though, or if you would need to apply it dry it in that case. Hopefully someone who uses RI can answer that question. I have wet-painted it (using Everclear) on crusting buttercream and of course fondant and/or gumpaste. LOVE the stuff.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 11:11pm
post #8 of 8

To get a high shine on RI put it under a heat lamp (any heat). But if you want a glittery look you have to use the dusts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%