Rbc!!!!!!

Baking By angiev77 Updated 16 Dec 2008 , 5:28pm by jobueno

angiev77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angiev77 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 9

Can anyone explain to me how to cover cookies with rolled buttercream???? Do you just roll it out and then use cookie cutters to cut out the shapes? I read the forum on it but it sounded like everyone already knew the basic steps!!!

8 replies
shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 9

Yes, roll out the RBC, cut out (keep in mind, your cut-out will be slightly smaller than your baked cookie). I roll it on a little cutting board, cut out shape, stick in freezer for a few minutes, that makes it easier to pick up and put on cookie. I dab corn syrup as glue. I seem to have to add quite a bit of PS to mine to keep it from being greasy. Hope this helps! I got all my tips right here on CC. I roll my RBC very very thin, It's so sweet, but oh, so yummy!

angiev77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angiev77 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 9

would you suggest using RBC over RI? Also, should I add more powder sugar than the recipe calls for and if so how much?

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 9

I think it's a matter of taste. I made RBC once and really didn't like it. It seemed like the consistency was correct, but it was so greasy and tasted of Crisco - maybe I did something wrong but I haven't felt inclined to try again.

MMF might be another alternative for you if you are looking for that sort of effect. If you put the rolled icing on immediately the cookies come out of the oven, it melts onto the cookies and you don't need to 'glue' them with corn syrup.

Royal icing is a bit more work, I think, but I prefer the appearance and the flavour, and probably you'll need some RI anyway, for detailing on top of your rolled-iced cookies. You should try both and see what you prefer.

shiney Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 9

I do use more PS than it calls for, and I leave out the oils. I flavor with van extract and sometimes add almond extract, or cherry or strawberry (which will turn it pink). Then I detail with RI or TG. People who have eaten my RBC cookies LOVE it, it's like cake icing on a cookie, but it is so sweet, I roll it very thin.

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 12:23am
post #6 of 9

How thin do you roll it out? How much extra PS do you add to it?

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiney

I do use more PS than it calls for, and I leave out the oils. I flavor with van extract and sometimes add almond extract, or cherry or strawberry (which will turn it pink). Then I detail with RI or TG. People who have eaten my RBC cookies LOVE it, it's like cake icing on a cookie, but it is so sweet, I roll it very thin.

shiney Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 9

I just keep adding until I get as much of the greasiness out as I can. and I would say I roll about (I've just looked at a ruler) 1/32 of an inch. I really do try to get it thin-thin, because it's so sweet. I would say I try to put just a little more than RI would cover the cookie. That's why I put it in the freezer, so I can pick it up, otherwise it will tear. I know some people like it thicker, ones who like a sweet-sweet cookie. I have a friend who comes to my fundraisers and searches for the cookie with the most icing. icon_smile.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 9

I like RI because it melts so nicely on the tougue. There is just something so yummy about that.

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 5:28pm
post #9 of 9

Hi there, I just happened to stumble upon this topic. I don't know what recipe y'all use for buttercreme as a base for your RBC but RBC is not greasy once you've finished mixing in ps (unless you have hot hands).

When I make mine I usually add 2 lbs PS and then keep adding by the cupful until the RBC is a little like fondant. When you pull it apart it should break not stretch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%