Lorann Oil / Flavoring

Decorating By majormichel Updated 17 Dec 2008 , 10:28am by deetmar

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 2:21am
post #1 of 18

How many of you uses Oil to add flavor to your cake or icing? I never tried it and would like some feed back. I am thinking off purchasing some oil and but it my fondant, buttercream and cake. What is your view? Is the oil flavor to overwhelming?

17 replies
DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 2:42am
post #2 of 18

I have used several of their oils. I feel they are stronger than the average extract, so a little does go a long way.

My all-time favorites that I really enjoy: Lemon, orange and peppermint.

Least liked: Honey (It smelled too much like cough syrup to me.)

The Praline flavor reminded me more of an unusual Butterscotch somehow. I really didn't care for it.

Have fun experimenting. icon_biggrin.gif
-Debbie B.

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 2:57am
post #3 of 18

I have a bunch of their oils, and love them! Bavarian Cream is probably my fav, a drop or two in my buttercream is lovely.

You have to use it sparingly. Once I did cake balls and added too much orange cream, and it was soooo strong. I had to add more cake to balance the flavours.
Creme de Menthe is great too, especially with a chocolate icing! Mmm.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:02am
post #4 of 18

I bought a bunch of them off eBay (got a killer deal). I like adding Praline to my white cake, thats really yummy. I also like to add orange to chocolate ganache, that is VERY good. I was very supprised by how little the bottles were, and then how little I needed to put a strong flavor into something. Hazlenut is good in hot cocoa (a drop will flavor three or four mugs!)

majormichel Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 12:37pm
post #5 of 18

Thanks for the input.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 1:53pm
post #6 of 18

I agree, these oils are great for adding that touch of flavor. I've also added caramel and banana cream to sugar cookies. YUM! This week I made egg nog flavored sugar cookies for neighbor gifts. It is very, very good! The cookies taste so festive. I love trying new flavor combos with cakes and icings too.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 18

Hi majormichel,

Cotton Candy is also great.

Can anyone tell me how long the oils last once the bottle is opened?

Tammy

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 8:44pm
post #8 of 18

I use Lorann oils for making lollipops and hard candy. They are definitely stronger than extracts you can buy from the grocery store. The peppermint, spearmint, and cinnamon are ALOT stronger than all of the others. I made red hot candies the other day and added a little too much. I ended up having to open all the windows in the kitchen and front room because the smell was burning my eyes and nose.

Some of my favorite flavors are bavarian cream, chocolate, coffee (ANOTHER STRONG ONE, but makes yummy fondant if you need a dark color), peach, caramel, cheesecake, abd mint chocolate chip.

You can also look on getsuckered.com and they have alot more flavors in the oils than Lorann. I've only tried the buttered popcorn but it was almost as strong as the Lorann brands.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 9:01pm
post #9 of 18

How much oil do you guys usually add to WASC?

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 4:57am
post #10 of 18

Just a drop. Like, 1/8 full of a 1/4 teaspoon measure. Thats the best I can explain it. Drop at a time, taste and see if you need more. Probably won't!!

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:05pm
post #11 of 18

I have used them occasionally, and find them to be very, very strong, and if used the amount recommended on the bottle, the taste was too strong and overwhelmingly artificial. Use half of what is recommended.

JaLa90016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaLa90016 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:27pm
post #12 of 18

I bought some off ebay and I got an awesome deal too. I bought 2 for the price of one. Once you open the bottle, the flavor is still strong. It doesn't evaporate. I love the Cotton Candy and the Orange Cream. I use it in my buttercreams. Like the ladies say, "A drop goes a LONG ways.."

majormichel Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:34am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by servingzero

I have a bunch of their oils, and love them! Bavarian Cream is probably my fav, a drop or two in my buttercream is lovely.

You have to use it sparingly. Once I did cake balls and added too much orange cream, and it was soooo strong. I had to add more cake to balance the flavours.
Creme de Menthe is great too, especially with a chocolate icing! Mmm.

How does creme de menthe taste?

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:47am
post #14 of 18

creme de menthe = cream of mint flavor

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 4:10am
post #15 of 18

My fav is the tangarine and peppermint. I made mint choc chip cupcakes with the mint, green color and choc chips -looked and tasted divine! I love these oils!

majormichel Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 1:09pm
post #16 of 18

thank you

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 1:35pm
post #17 of 18

The creme de menthe tastes really good. I've added it to my buttercream, chocolate buttercream, chocolate cookies and chocolate cake and they were all yummy!

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 10:28am
post #18 of 18

I uesd the raspberry to make my blue stars for the top of my Christmas Cupcakes. I followed the recipe on the LorAnn pamplet, and it was a nightmare. We had to throw them all out, and I mean way out to the street. I stunk so bad like something nasty burning. I think possibley that I used to much, 2 drams, but that's what the recipe called for. Then my blue stars turned green. Go figure.

I tried it again using Tones flavoring, and it tasted a lot better, but they still turned green. Gave up on that one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%