My Cake On Death Row!

Decorating By diane706 Updated 11 Dec 2008 , 2:17am by indydebi

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 16

So, I made a wine bottle and crate (in my pics) for a rather large wine tasting and dinner event where my boyfriend works. I was told it was the only desert. They proudly displayed it for a while during dinner and then wheeled the cake around on a cart so all the attendies could see it before it was cut. It was then wheeled to the kitchen where it was to meet it's pending doom via "the knife man with the funny, tall hat". My boyfriend kept taking shortcuts through the kitchen and I followed. I saw my cake sitting there all alone (could of sworn I saw a tear!) and thought "It looks like it's on DEATH ROW"!!! After a while we cut through the kitchen again and there were about 100 plates with dessert on them and my first thought was that it was really rude of the company to have me make the cake just to find out that it was amongst competition. Then I realized that it looked hauntingly familiar... IT WAS MY CAKE...MY BABY... with it's "appendages" scattered all over the kitchen!! I spent so much time with it that it became part of the family!! I have NEVER stayed at an event long enough to see one of my cakes all cut up! It's quite obvious to me that it's going to happen but I try not to think about it since soooo much work goes into each "piece of art"! Anyway, I'm wondering... Does anybody else ever get that awful feeling in the pit of your stomach when you see your cake get cut? Or am I just a "silly ol' girl"?

15 replies
Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 16

Most of the time I would gladly plate it myself because I'm so glad to be done with it.

There are a few though where I felt sick ot my stomache when it came time to cut it.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 16

I don't know....It never really bothers me. Even when I watched the dad take a chef's knife to my princess cake's head, LOL. The way I look at it is that it's just going to go bad anyway so we might as well eat it!!

...and as long as I have good pics of the cake then I'm coolicon_smile.gif

BrendaS104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrendaS104 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 16

See I'd be the first in line for a slice. I mean you know how delicious it is!!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 16

It's cake and that's what I made it for. When I bring a cake to work, many times they make me cut it because they don't want to.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 16

Nah, doesn't bother me. I have great pictures to remember them by. Cake - it's supposed to be eaten.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 16

The only thing that bothers me is when painstakingly-made gumpaste flowers get destroyed or worse, eaten! Pull 'em off and keep 'em, for God's sake!! LOL

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 16

Im sorry you had to witness this, it must have been awful! icon_wink.gif I made a grooms cake for my nephews wedding. Now it took me 4.5 days to make this sucker, it was huge, he liked it so much at the wedding he refused to let anyone cut it. He tried to put it in his freezer the next day but of course it wouldnt fit, it was HUGE, so he then tried to start taking it a part. Now as cake decorators we all know how delicate cake can be, but he's civilian, and he made quite a mess, and he wound up destroying it. LIke i said i was flattered he was trying to save it but its cake, it should be eaten. Its the LSU cake in my photos, the whole thing took 12 boxes of cake mix ( icon_surprised.gif yes i bake from a box) and he tried to put it in his regular size freezer, yeah it didnt happen!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 9:36pm
post #9 of 16

the opposite always bothers me..........I can't stand it when they say "it's too gorgeous/cool to cut" and then they wind up NEVER eating it.....that drives me way more crazy than when they DO cut it...I spend almost as much time ensuring that it tastes good as I do making it look good!
That happened with my guitar cake, it was for a graduation party and they wanted everyone to see it as they came and went so it never got cut and it was the only cake! The teenager it was for did finally cut it and eat it TWO WEEKS LATER! Yuck.............he said it was still moist and flavorful LOL

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 9:39pm
post #10 of 16

I usually can't wait for them to cut the cake! It always seems to take forever, I'm usually the one eyeballing the knife and counting the minutes! It what it was made for...looking pretty was just act 1!

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 12:53am
post #11 of 16

Nope. Doesn't bother me, as long as the cake was on display long enough to be admired (that's my vanity and pride talkin!)

Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 1:10am
post #12 of 16

I love making cake "art" because I love that fact that it gets eaten. My husband has soooo much clutter around my house that I absolutely love that I make it, take pictures of it, people love it and it gets eaten...nothing left to take home and store for anyone. (Maybe this should go under the OCD thread). icon_smile.gif

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 1:11am
post #13 of 16

I don't feel bad about the cutting part as long as I get good pictures to remember it by. I am always anxious to hear if the guests liked the taste. Once it passes the taste test, I am totally happy.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 1:16am
post #14 of 16

Nope. Doesn't bother me, as long as the cake was on display long enough to be admired (that's my vanity and pride talkin!)

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 1:38am
post #15 of 16

I also am usually glad to see the cake go. On the occasion that I attend the function with the cake I made, they usually want me to cut it!!

I always say I make it ....I don't cut it. He he, I think people are afraid to hack it up . I say it's cake for pete's sake, just cut it and eat it!
I think they are afraid of cutting it wrong or something.

It doesn't bother me to see it cut up at all. I would rather see it devoured than not.
I too get alittle anxious to hear "they loved it!" , then I am set, although My daughter says,
"mom, don't they always? " icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 2:17am
post #16 of 16

NOpe! Doesn't bother me at all. I like it when they appreciate how pretty it is .... but I LOVE it when they proclaim how great it tastes!

Made a 3-D duck for a baby shower once. The lady asked me how to cut it. I said, "Whack the head off then slice the body in half right down the middle!" She said she shared the instructions and had a big crowd to watch her "Whack the Duck! Whack the DUck! Whack the Duck!" icon_lol.gif

like leahs said ... it's cake ... it's suppose to be eaten! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%