Fake Tiers.....

Decorating By cakebaker1978 Updated 9 Dec 2008 , 9:48pm by cakebaker1978

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 9

Hey All.

I was wondering if you only want 1 tier of a three tier cake to be real.....what do you use for the fake part? And does it matter which tier is real? Any recommendations? Do you use styrofoam?

8 replies
buffim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buffim Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 9

I haven't done one that was a mix, but I have done one that was all sytrofoam. So I'm not sure how it will stack, but I think it kind of depends on how many people you have to feed as to what layer you do in real cake.

Is it actually cheaper for you to do it in styrofoam instead of making the other 2 layers real? I haven't calculated the cost but I know it's not super cheap to buy the styrofoam ones. You still have to cover them and decorate them so are paying the same costs there...

cakebaker1978 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 9

I want to make it very small. It is only to feed like 4o people, but I wanted to make the cake a 3 tier without all the left over cake.(but a small 3 tier) I thought it would be easier to stack using styrofoam. I really haven't looked at the prices for anything yet, I was just putting some ideas together.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 9

You can use styrofoam, and you need to deside which tier should be real according to the number of servings. And I don't think you should reduce your price because two tiers are fake. It take the same amount of decorating and time as well.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

cakebaker1978 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks! I appreciate the help! It is for a friend but I am sure she will pay me what ever! I just thought even a two tier wedding cake would be better than a 1 tier. But I know they don't need that much cake. I will have to run it past her. Thanks again!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 9

I would do a 6",9", and 12" cake with the bottom 12" being styrofoam according to my serving charts a 6" is 10 serv. and a 9" is 30 so that would be perfect for you. You can order dummies at dallas-foam dot com

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 9:43pm
post #7 of 9

To serve 40 you would need at least 2 tiers of real cake.
I suggest a 12(styro), 9,& 5 real cake which will yeild about 45 servings each 1x2x4.

buffim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buffim Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 9

if you want to do a small cake that serves around 40 you could do the bottom (10") styrofoam, and then real 6" and 8" above. According to the serving chart I have that would serve about 36 people, based on a round cake. Then it's not too big and you have 2 real layers with the styrofoam being the base (seems like that would be more stable to me).
best of luck

cakebaker1978 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 9:48pm
post #9 of 9

ok, that makes sense! Thanks so much! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%