Royal Icing Question

Decorating By msnrozier Updated 9 Dec 2008 , 10:52pm by Malakin

msnrozier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msnrozier Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 4

sorry to be a pest, but I am really trying to learn new stuff, I want to do some cookies and I see most use RI, but I don't have meringue powder, I think I can use egg whites right???????

also what is VANVAN, brought this in a cake supply store just walking around wasting money!

TIA a thousand time icon_redface.gif

just went to cooks.com and the recipe calls for cream of tartar, I don't have either in my house.

3 replies
Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnrozier

sorry to be a pest, but I am really trying to learn new stuff, I want to do some cookies and I see most use RI, but I don't have meringue powder, I think I can use egg whites right???????

also what is VANVAN, brought this in a cake supply store just walking around wasting money!

TIA a thousand time icon_redface.gif

Royal icing is traditionally made using egg whites. A lot of people however avoid using egg whites because of the risk of salmonella. You can also use pasteurized egg whites.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 4

Yes traditional royal icing is egg whites and PS mixed to the desired consistency. This is the only way I make it (although I sometimes add cornstarch and cream of tartar for strength when using the RI for structural items like pastillage display pieces or gingerbread houses).

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 4

I've made it using powdered egg whites and no cream of tartar instead of meringue powder. Works the same

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%