Cake Balls=Nasty!!!!!!

Decorating By cakedivamommy Updated 12 Dec 2008 , 4:36am by indydebi

seskenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seskenn Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 2:36pm
post #31 of 44

My first attempt at cake balls was a disaster, and they were completely gross - gooey, sticky blobs. A total waste of chocolate! Tried again last week and they are much improved. The difference was definitely how much liquid/icing I added. I didn't add as much liquid this time, and they turned out like chocolate dipped fudge! I did a batch using chocolate cake, a small amount of buttercream, and some liquid chocolate mint truffle creamer. I also added mini chocolate chips for a little more texture. Awesome! The second batch was butter pecan cake and praline buttercream, dipped in white chocolate. These had chopped pecans inside for texture. They are delish, but sooooo rich!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 5:29pm
post #32 of 44

I'm glad to find this post. Mine were just gross and I haven't been able to make myself try them again. Besides, I don't have many cake scraps and when I do, my DH scarfs them down. He doesn't like icing but loves cake scraps so they don't stay around long.

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 5:45pm
post #33 of 44

On my first attempt I told y'all those things were nasty - they almost made me sick but since they are all the rave these days I'll try again either with a DROP of liquid or none at all. I think they may be better with just cake and very little bit binder.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 5:56pm
post #34 of 44

thumbsdown.gif Can't stand 'em, either. Blech. I tried making them, tossed in trash. I tried one from someone else, equally a gross.

To each his own! icon_biggrin.gif

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:00pm
post #35 of 44

You all should try sugar shacks method.. she doesn't use any liquid/creamer/icing at all in them. She says if your cake is moist enough, they will work!

I haven't tried it yet because my boyfriend is in love with the original cake balls.. but I'm sure it would make them a lot less gooey!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:07pm
post #36 of 44

I tried making them and just about gagged. It was also the first time I'd ever bought the flavored creamers and I tossed the whole container because that stuff is nasty too.

If I have leftover cake scraps I give them to my FIL, I don't have to worry about them and he's thrilled.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:12pm
post #37 of 44

icon_lol.gif I like cruffles.

Everyone I make them for loves them. I like them, just get tired of making them. If yours are coming our mushy and like cookie douhg, you're using way too much liquid or icing (ick!). I wouldn't follow the recipes in the recipe forum but the original one submitted years ago by Cookieman. It does not call for icing or freezing. I'm not a fan of creamers either, I don't like the taste.

Ok, here was his original post:

Quote:
Quote:

I added the amaretto to the crumbled pieces of leftover chocolate cake I had on hand. I just winged the recipe from what I remembered of other recipes I have tried. In a bowl, I crumbled up about a cup-and-a-half of cake, mixed in a couple of tablespoons of confectioners' sugar, a healthy shot of amaretto, and some chopped almonds. I then mixed the whole thing with my very clean hands until it held together. The trick is to not let the mixture get overly moist, but not have it be dry and crumbly either. I then took a tablespoon cookie scoop and made balls out of the mixture. I let them dry out for a while on a parchement-lined cookie sheet (I let them dry for only about an hour, but idealy it should longer; even overnight) and then proceeded to dip them in melted chocolate candy melts. ( I made my own dipping fork by removing the two middle tines from a four-tined plastic spoon.) Then, back to the parchment-lined cookie sheet and into the freezer for 5 minutes to harden the chocolate shell. There you have it: chocolate-covered amaretto balls!

Came from this thread: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-1167-cookieman.html+balls

99% of the time, I use a liquor. Baileys, Kahlua, rum, etc. A few times I've used leftover fillings (kids were eating them) or just cream. And you add just enough to get it the balls to form and hold their shape. If you want extra liquor - drink it!

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:22pm
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Ahem! ::taps desk::

My newest crusade will be to rename these

"Cruffles"

Seriously. Cake + truffle = Cruffle

Please resume your normal caking.

leahs you are too funny!

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:32pm
post #39 of 44

icon_lol.gif This is great! I made them as a wedding gift in August. It was my first ever attempt. They turned out gorgeous. Tasted good but not great. Let me put it this way. They were okay but not so good that I'd ever be temped to go through all that trouble again. I throw away the scraps we don't eat immediately after cutting them off the cake. It's just not worth it!

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:35pm
post #40 of 44

I think it has alot do do with the flavor of the cake you use. Chocolate has many differnt textures, from brownies to fudge, to pudding, we are used to it. Everyone liked my chocolate balls. Ive made spice cake and butter pecan ones, they did not go over well at all.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 6:40pm
post #41 of 44

I don't like the taste or consistency, but maybe if I did them with NO icing or liquid I would like them better.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 3:00am
post #42 of 44

I hate them, I call them cake turds. And nothing pisses me off more than to have someone offer me a truffle and then you find out that it's some kind of cake disguised as the real thing. There is no cake in chocolate truffles, no way no how.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:17am
post #43 of 44

They shouldn't be soggy at all if mixed right. I don't use icing with mine but coffee syrups and a lot of times I don't even need to add any because it's moist enough as it is. I'm not one who's crazy about cake so they are ok to me but you would think they were crack to everyone else around here.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 4:36am
post #44 of 44

I'm with chutz .... flat out nasty and WAY too much work to try to save a few pennies worth of trash, uh, scraps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%