Sandra Lee...ugh

Decorating By momma28 Updated 27 Dec 2008 , 12:39pm by Mike1394

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:18pm
post #91 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

Nope she never said cake mixes -- "while I was at the store they had a couple different cake flavors available, they had chocolate and spice so I picked up both of those"... "it smells so good in here and i didn't even have to bake a thing"

Yuck!

I was trying to avoid watching it for the 50th(an exageration)time. I did, however, do it anyway and you are so right. I was being a viewer and a partial listener and an assumer because I didn't know cake layers were available at my local grocery store...must be they are where she shops though...I didn't think of that. Let me head into my local grocery store..."
Sandra Lee says I can pick up layers at my local grocery store. What department can I find those?"

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:21pm
post #92 of 180

rotflmao....... icon_redface.gif I am having a double birthday sleepover this weekend and if a cocktail doesn't make it's appearance at least once, I will lose what little sanity I have left! icon_lol.gif

patriciaab668 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patriciaab668 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 8:30pm
post #93 of 180

OMG I just watched this with my 13 year old daughter and all she could say when Sandra was decorating the ice cream cone top was that is wrong on so many levels. I happen to agree that cake was really bad.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 9:13pm
post #94 of 180

I don't think it was bad at all. It looked better than a LOT of my firsts!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 10:28pm
post #95 of 180

......... I don't have an outside job, I'm a stay-at-home-homeschooling-mom that is quite crafty and cooks/bakes from scratch mostly (except for the WASC, my favorite cake!) Hey wait, the WASC cake is 'semi-homemade'!.......

Oooooooohhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! How can you say that?????????
hehehe I was waiting for someone to come up with that commenticon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 11:48pm
post #96 of 180

Ok, Sandra Lee=me, like a year ago. I would produce these hideous (but delicious) cakes and wonder why no one was asking me to make a cake for them. I never supported the tiers, used the canned frosting, sprinkles, the whole icon_cry.gif sha-bang. But then I found cc and discovered why no one was placing an order with me! I can tell you, the first 'real' cake I made I was button-bursting proud of.
And of course I would have followed her advice back in the day, not knowing that I could do better. That's what's aggravating about what she did, she's on a major network showing how to make an unstable, poorly decorated cake. But *sigh* I don't have a tv show, I have to resort to the net and hope to help out these poor people who watch (and believe) her show!!
Oh, and a little off-topic, but I've been asked to make my first baby shower cake icon_biggrin.gif

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 12:00am
post #97 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Hey wait, the WASC cake is 'semi-homemade'!.......

Oooooooohhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! How can you say that?????????
hehehe I was waiting for someone to come up with that commenticon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Yeah, but isn't it? The premise of 'semi-homemade' is that you take prepared item or mix and add a few of your own ingredients. Isn't that what we are doing with the WASC? (Unless I misunderstood you and you were agreeing? I'm slow today! It's been one of those crazy days and I'm ready for bed at 7pm!!) (I always feel like I am cheating when I make that cake, but it is my favorite!)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 12:10am
post #98 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaranne

(I always feel like I am cheating when I make that cake, but it is my favorite!)

You're doing something dishonest or immoral by making a cake that starts with a cake mix?? icon_confused.gif

Sorry, but when women berate themselves for not doing things the way the pioneer women did it, as "cheating" ... well, it's just a friendly pet peeve of mine. icon_redface.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 12:21am
post #99 of 180

What have I been missing (I don't watch FN unless there's a challenge or Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives on)?

You mean to tell me that she wasn't doing one of her 1001 things to do with a pair of stacked angel food cakes? icon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sweettreats36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreats36 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 12:33am
post #100 of 180

I thought it was just me and my lack of experience. I,m so glad I was wrong! Cakes are seriously not her thing.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 12:34am
post #101 of 180

I think my favorite quote about boxed cake mixes came from my grandmother. "If someone else was kind enough to measure everything out for me, why shouldn't I use it!?" Some cakes I only do from scratch, others start life in a box, but they are all mine. I generally don't watch SL, mostly because I don't have TV, but from what I have seen lately, between the cookie cake, the Kwanzaa cake and this masterpiece, she needs to step away from the cake. Some of her ideas are good, but the execution could be better, especially if she is trying to teach others how to do it. You can still do "semi-homemade" and use dowels!!

BabyBear3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyBear3 Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 12:34am
post #102 of 180

I will never again feel horrible if my icing is not glass..........it could be worse!!!

ha ha ha I like how she was paying "attention to detail"...........ha!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 12:37am
post #103 of 180

She reminds me so much of the woman you see on those shows The Real Housewives of Orange County. She is definetly one of those woman that had too much time on her hands that thought because she had some money that she could do whatever she wanted. Not saying that there is anything wrong with it but sometimes they try to be something their not and because their husbands/sugar daddies have connections they get away with it.
She trys to make her stuff look trendy and appeal to people that have no talent for cooking or baking. So ofcourse not everyone can bake or cook so she has a following.
So for people like us that see her show we cant understand how or why she appeals to people. Just remember there are people out there that think making a box cake is too much work so when they see her show they think "Oh, thats a great idea!" But it also gives people the notion that what we do (bake from scratch and decorate a cake that looks professional) is simple and that we ask too much money for what we do. I remember getting a call for a castle cake for a princess party. The woman wanted it to feed 50 people and be all edible. When I quoted her my price she came back with that her and her mother could make it. So I said Good Luck! Well needless to say, they found out that it looked easier than it was and came crawling back. I was already booked and told them I was sorry, that I could no longer do it. So Im sure she learned her lesson!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 12:42am
post #104 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

When I quoted her my price she came back with that her and her mother could make it. So I said Good Luck! Well needless to say, they found out that it looked easier than it was and came crawling back. I was already booked and told them I was sorry, that I could no longer do it. So Im sure she learned her lesson!

The sweetest revenge! icon_lol.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 12:48am
post #105 of 180

Yah, I really had to hold back the giggle! Ofcourse I did the "I told you so" dance that Graces mom used to do to her on Will and Grace!

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 12:52am
post #106 of 180

I am so glad to see this post. I thought my daughter and I were the only ones who found Sandra Lee's show a total waste of air space! I have tried to watch it because I thought her little curtain invention was pretty clever but I am sorry, her show is horrible. The tiered cake is just a prime example. I also take personal offense by anyone who shows such overwhelming excitement about making an alcoholic cocktail to finish off each segment. The show with the tiered cake, which I did watch, also went into detail about making the "kiddies" their own cocktails. I'm sorry, but I find it distasteful for someone to encourage children to have their own cocktails. Also, as others mentioned, her cake was definitely leaning and any inexperienced baker who tries this cake will, in all likelihood, fail. Now. can anyone honestly find that fair to the people who do watch her and attempt to recreate her "works of art?" (Yes, I'm using "work of art" satrically.)

And I'm sorry to those of you who disagree with speaking frankly about Ms. Lee. if we can't freely express our opinions on this site which is dedicated to open communication while working to improve our skills then where can we say what we feel?

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 3:14am
post #107 of 180

I had dinner with my mom tonight, and could resist telling her about this thread. I said "I was on my cake website last night, and we were all making fun of Sandra Lee."
Her eyes got huge, and she said "Oooooooh, why? She is such a neat lady."
Gag. I tried to tell her about the Kwanzaa cake, but to no avail. She still defended her. -sigh- icon_biggrin.gif

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 4:00am
post #108 of 180

Hahaha, are you kidding me?, makes me look and feel like a cake genius, gotta love her!!!!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 7:24am
post #109 of 180

I do watch Sandra lee, and she does anoy me sometimes. Alot of the stars on the food network kind of grate on you after a while. I think I watch too much. I do understand her niche though. She is appealing to the cooks that don't have time to do everything from scratch. There are plenty of other chef's that do that. So it is kind of nice that there is at least one show for the basic cook. I know its hard to watch when you see how incorrectly she is doing something, but its just because we know better. Its all in good fun to point out the mistakes she makes, but I still watch.

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 8:07am
post #110 of 180

Ok I couldn't stop laughing after she kept calling the corn nuts on the Kwanza cake Acorns! Oh my gosh, tears, I couldn't stop icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif I don't care what you think about her that was hillarious!

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 9:38am
post #111 of 180

According to her biography (on her website) "Lee then attended the world's leading culinary art institute, Le Cordon Bleu." WTF??!! icon_eek.gif http://www.semihomemade.com/sandra-lee/biography.htm

I understand using shortcuts to cook; I don't think there's anything wrong with that... but what gets me is that some of her "recipes/ flavor combinations" are just so dang ODD.

And I drink alcoholic beverages, but just not with every meal. Plus I'm really tired of everything being a "tini." Appletini, Capputini, etc.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 9:40am
post #112 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybird

Oh my. It is 5a.m. and I tuned in CC for my morning baking lessons and what to my wondering eyes does appear but this wonderful thread about SL. I don't have cable at home so whenever I travel I spend my evenings in those boring hotels watching the Food Network. I keep saying to my husband "how in the world do these people get a cooking show"? I could do that with my eyes closed!!!!!!
I gaze at her and that Gaida person who look like they are going to a coctail party instead of cooking up a meal. I have actually used a few of SL's ideas over the past couple of years, but there is still this deep seated mistrust and dislike of both of them. How in the world does anyone look that gorgeous and still turn out something that one can eat. And the worst of it is------how in God's green earth does anyone cook and stay that skinny???????? You just can't trust anyone who looks that good and shows cleavege (spelling) in the kitchen. My hubby probably doesn't agree because he just laughs at my tirades when I am watching these gals.
I have been just in hysterics reading this and can't thank all of you enough for contributing to this thread. I am all for not combing my hair and wearing my jeans cutoffs in the kitchen. Maybe today while I finish up my baking for this weekends party, I will dress up, put on my makeup and see how it feels. Who knows-----MAYBE SOMEONE WILL OFFER ME MY OWN TV COOKING SHOW!!!!!!!!
Love you all and Merry Christmas
Lily

A little stereotypical dont you think? Just b/c not everyone is fat and dresses in sweats or whatever doesnt mean you cant cook. you can be skinny and pretty and dress nice and still cook great food or desserts just as good if not better than the chubby, not as pretty, underdressed person!!!!!! its so ridiculous that you get judged by what you look like.

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 10:00am
post #113 of 180

hahah from Wikipedia.

Amanda Hesser in The New York Times writes, Lee "...seems more intent on encouraging people to create excuses for not cooking than on encouraging them to cook wholesome simple foods," concluding that "...she has produced two books in which she encourages a dislike for cooking, and gives people an excuse for feeding themselves and their families mediocre food filled with preservatives."

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 11:26am
post #114 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydukes

And I drink alcoholic beverages, but just not with every meal. Plus I'm really tired of everything being a "tini." Appletini, Capputini, etc.

I couldn't agree with you more...Appletini, Capputini, Frapputini, Mangotini, Carameltini, Minttini, Melontini...the list goes on and on.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 11:47am
post #115 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydukes

I couldn't agree with you more...Appletini, Capputini, Frapputini, Mangotini, Carameltini, Minttini, Melontini...the list goes on and on.

My DH once asked me if she's ever made a Tini-tini! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 12:08pm
post #116 of 180

The Food Network seems to be moving in the Sandra Lee direction and relying more on personalities that they think people want to see than on real chefs. I'll defend Giada, though, because her recipes actually use real food and taste good, as opposed to a can of cream of mushroom soup, frozen breaded chicken patties and tater tots. I think it's funny that her cleavage is what gets the most attantion, but she said in some interview once that she knows she's busty, and if she wears high necklines it makes her look really blocky, so she wears the v-necks. Big deal, at least you can eat her food and enjoy it.

Having said that, Sandra Lee should stick to the tater tots and leave the cakes to someone who has a clue.

tastefullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastefullysweet Posted 10 Dec 2008 , 11:23pm
post #117 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuvas

hahah from Wikipedia.

Amanda Hesser in The New York Times writes, Lee "...seems more intent on encouraging people to create excuses for not cooking than on encouraging them to cook wholesome simple foods," concluding that "...she has produced two books in which she encourages a dislike for cooking, and gives people an excuse for feeding themselves and their families mediocre food filled with preservatives."

Amen to that!
(of course, what do I know, not being overweight and not owning a single sweat-suit...)

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 12:05am
post #118 of 180

Maybe a lot of us are on the wrong site.

Since when is calling someone you don't know a "drunk"...celebrity or not...right? Was she drinking at the time? Did she drink around kids and knock over something?? Seriously...who has the right to call someone a drunk when they were just giving cooking/entertaining tips?

Are we all professionals or striving to be professionals? THen half the comments on this thread go way beyond unprofessional to just downright mean.

She is human. She found people who wanted to hear what she had to say, and others who would listen. Is everyone who doesn't make cakes like us so wretched?? Isn't that why some of us have decided to teach? Isn't that the reason some of us are PAID to do what we do?

The video speaks for itself. She is not a great cake decorator. Period. Why did this whole thread have to get so ugly?

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 12:25am
post #119 of 180

Sorry, but I glanced back through this thread and the only "drunk" comment I see is from Cakemom777. Did I miss something or was there a loose interpretation of our comments?

I do like the way Giada cooks and have made many of her recipes. She is very talented at what she does and she is beautiful.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 11 Dec 2008 , 12:28am
post #120 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahpierce

Some of her ideas for recipes (meals) are pretty good. She cooks like a real person. Not everyone has the time or money to cook everything from scratch. But, her cakes are hilarious! I don't watch her anymore, especailly after the episode she had on a childrens birthday party. She had cocktail time at a kids birthday! Seriouslly Sandra, refrane yourself from getting drunk around the kids, not cool thumbsdown.gif . I don't like the morals, so I don't watch. She's a drunk, hense her cakes icon_lol.gif .

Here it is.

Sorry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%