Sandra Lee...ugh

Decorating By momma28 Updated 27 Dec 2008 , 12:39pm by Mike1394

kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:51am
post #61 of 180

doody wands?! Hysterical! LOL thats great! I just got inspiration for my next cake....JK! LOL icon_lol.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:12am
post #62 of 180

Well, I see fondantgirl (a.k.a. 'Prettycake') is up to her same old tricks!! Abusing the thumbs-up icon, lol, as well as doody stick references. (btw, thank you for the laugh, whoever came up with that - it's good stuff!!!).

And I would rather eat my son's sweaty gym socks then actually agree with her *ahem* but I used to hate Sandra Lee too....I called her 'the lush' and my daughter called her 'Loopy Lee' because she was a nut and we would just laugh hysterically through her show. And then I watched her 'Chefography' special and it changed my opinion of her.

Now granted, I have not seen the cake in question but I do know that her stuff is a bit on the sloppy side, etc. I guess this one in particular was a hot mess so I might have to check it out. I am just saying that after watching her life's story (so to speak) I had alot of respect for her as a person. Her parents died when she was young and she pretty much raised her younger siblings...then she worked and worked and worked and got her foot in the door creating some window treatment thingies - then came up with her 70/30% ratio homemade, blah, blah, blah.....

And no, I am not Sandra Lee in disguise icon_lol.gif nor am I chastising anyone for talking about her show - gimme a break. I still crack a smile when I hear her talk about "cocktail time" - I just thought I would throw a little bit of totally irrelevant background/trivia at you all....... and now I am off to see just how bad this cake was, lol.

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:32am
post #63 of 180

I'm okay with being called a negative wench, I can handle it. But maybe the doody wands would have been better off supporting that cake?
I too saw the Chefography special and I think it's great that she's managed to come so far from where she started out and she did it pretty much on her own. And I find her incredibly annoying, so I just don't watch.
But I do take issue with the fact that she has made a career of cooking and "teaching" other people how to cook and decorate and such when she obviously doesn't know what she's talking about on a lot of things. It seems like with Food Network paying her what is obviously a lot of money, they should require that she research before doing things. I suppose if you were making a cake as a quick centerpiece for dinner and just decorating it right on the table it might be briefly okay without supports, but not only did she just use cake circles for support, her layers were not even, her filling was not even, and she used store bought icing which would be better used as a lube than a food item. Any movement at all and those layers would be shooting off in all directions! LOL!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:34am
post #64 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashablueyes

But maybe the doody wands would have been better off supporting that cake?

icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif rotflmao!!!!!!

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:53am
post #65 of 180

icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif <--------This was me watching all those videos!!!

and then this was me-----> icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

That was hilariously shocking.....and you guys are all so funny!!

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:16am
post #66 of 180

does anyone have a link to the $500 cookie cake utube?????

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 7:16am
post #67 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPea0613

icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif <--------This was me watching all those videos!!!

and then this was me-----> icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

that says it perfectly!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 12:47pm
post #68 of 180

Oh my. It is 5a.m. and I tuned in CC for my morning baking lessons and what to my wondering eyes does appear but this wonderful thread about SL. I don't have cable at home so whenever I travel I spend my evenings in those boring hotels watching the Food Network. I keep saying to my husband "how in the world do these people get a cooking show"? I could do that with my eyes closed!!!!!!
I gaze at her and that Gaida person who look like they are going to a coctail party instead of cooking up a meal. I have actually used a few of SL's ideas over the past couple of years, but there is still this deep seated mistrust and dislike of both of them. How in the world does anyone look that gorgeous and still turn out something that one can eat. And the worst of it is------how in God's green earth does anyone cook and stay that skinny???????? You just can't trust anyone who looks that good and shows cleavege (spelling) in the kitchen. My hubby probably doesn't agree because he just laughs at my tirades when I am watching these gals.
I have been just in hysterics reading this and can't thank all of you enough for contributing to this thread. I am all for not combing my hair and wearing my jeans cutoffs in the kitchen. Maybe today while I finish up my baking for this weekends party, I will dress up, put on my makeup and see how it feels. Who knows-----MAYBE SOMEONE WILL OFFER ME MY OWN TV COOKING SHOW!!!!!!!!
Love you all and Merry Christmas
Lily

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 12:54pm
post #69 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

I'm not sure why everyone is bashing Sandra Lee. Her whole philosophy is to simplify cooking or baking by using store bought items. She has never professed to be a chef or cake decorator. Obviously for those who are very serious about their cooking or baking they would not use her ideas. But I do believe for a majority of folks who hate cooking, she has found herself a niche and a following. To each his own as they say.

The point is some housewife who has never made a stacked cake is going to try and make that and have it fall apart on Christmas and be mortified in front of everyone she knows because Sandra Lee didnt show her to use supports (or fill properly). Its just as bad as having a recipe that just doesnt work. She needs to stick to things she can do well and teach well. It is not fair to her viewers to keep making cakes when she isnt telling them what they need to know.

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 1:14pm
post #70 of 180

I am in the middle when it comes to Sandra Lee. There are things about her show that I love, like her color coordinating and some savory dishes are frugal, but when she does cakes, I can't watch. Too sloppy. Doesn't use the right utensils, etc. As with other Food Network chefs, I just change the channel when they get annoying or too sloppy to watch. Use what you can and disregard the rest.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 1:31pm
post #71 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma28

The point is some housewife who has never made a stacked cake is going to try and make that and have it fall apart on Christmas and be mortified in front of everyone she knows because Sandra Lee didnt show her to use supports (or fill properly). Its just as bad as having a recipe that just doesnt work. She needs to stick to things she can do well and teach well. It is not fair to her viewers to keep making cakes when she isnt telling them what they need to know.

You guys are cracking me up. Let's not forget the premise of her show and the title is "Semi-homemade". I think we're all forgetting that the average non-caker "housewife" WILL definitely be creating her cakes in this manner. Not everyone goes to the trouble that we all do and not everyone CARES about baking and cakes like we do.

God forbid the cake tilts and everyone "laughs" at the poor old housewife, she'll be scarred for life and will have to spend thousands of dollars on therepy! icon_razz.gif That's the problem now-a-days people take things WAY too personally, and they can't even laugh at themselves sometimes.

I'd take Sara-Lee's profits anyday and run with them, good for her for fooling all those Food Network Execs!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 1:35pm
post #72 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdiez10

I am in the middle when it comes to Sandra Lee. There are things about her show that I love, like her color coordinating and some savory dishes are frugal, but when she does cakes, I can't watch. Too sloppy. Doesn't use the right utensils, etc. As with other Food Network chefs, I just change the channel when they get annoying or too sloppy to watch. Use what you can and disregard the rest.

I so agree. I like her sometimes, but not when cakes are involved. Did she say that she bought those cakes already baked? That's what I thought I heard.

MaxTRexmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaxTRexmom Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:01pm
post #73 of 180

She is awful. She does not deserve to be on FN with real chefs that educate people about food and cooking. IMO she does the opposite of that by saying you can slap a bunch of canned crap together and dump an envelope of soup mix on it and it will be just as good as if you actually made something yourself. The cakes are even worse because she is teaching people WRONG! Like others have said I feel sorry for those poor moms who may see that and try to make a special cake for their family only to have it collapse. icon_mad.gif UGH

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:03pm
post #74 of 180

I like the idea of following her recipe and instructions perfectly... set the timer and see how long it takes to fall... Better yet! Food Network Cake Challenge style... You have to move it once it assembled and then set the timer to see how long it lasts. Lets call it Cake Central Challenge -- Sandra Lee and we'll send our results to Food Network. That would be hysterical!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I think I have too much time on my hands lately... who's with me? icon_lol.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:08pm
post #75 of 180

No no, she didn't say she bought the cakes.......what she said was the cake mixes were on sale so she bought the 2 flavors.

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:16pm
post #76 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

No no, she didn't say she bought the cakes.......what she said was the cake mixes were on sale so she bought the 2 flavors.

I thought she said she bought the cakes too. She said her kitchen smelled so good and she didn't even bake anything. I was wondering where she bought baked cakes that weren't leveled or frosted or anything???? icon_confused.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:22pm
post #77 of 180

So funny.

I guess there is a segment of the population that doesn't really know how to cook so Sandra makes them feel better. I know girls who really truly can't cook and doing it like Sandra would make them feel proud. Sad. I know.

She really should avoid cakes. Yikes. I guess still, she's trying to do it like, well, like someone who never decorated a cake before. And I guess her results will give somebody confidence to try it out, even if it looks like junk. haha.

When do I get MY own show? icon_lol.gif

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:28pm
post #78 of 180

If you ever get the chance read some of the reviews on FN before they delete them. They are generally pretty funny.
As for SL, I have used a few of her "cocktail" recipes myself.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 2:38pm
post #79 of 180

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to offend anyone last night! icon_redface.gif Who would have thought that being called a fat, untalented, negative wench would have been less offensive than me tellling that person to back off? I thought we were all having a good time when a pretty rude person came in to the mix...
Guess I should have just said jump in the lake, or maybe stop being such a gripey gus, instead of saying what I did. But, it wasn't mean't literally icon_lol.gif of course!!!
So again, no offense intended. I was just having a good time. icon_lol.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 3:12pm
post #80 of 180

I just about died laughing when she took out the twizzlers and started talking about how they're such a smart idea. No wonder my MIL thinks that they should be used for everything from Amidala's hair to Harry Potter wands.

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:17pm
post #81 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to offend anyone last night! icon_redface.gif Who would have thought that being called a fat, untalented, negative wench would have been less offensive than me tellling that person to back off? I thought we were all having a good time when a pretty rude person came in to the mix...
Guess I should have just said jump in the lake, or maybe stop being such a gripey gus, instead of saying what I did. But, it wasn't mean't literally icon_lol.gif of course!!!
So again, no offense intended. I was just having a good time. icon_lol.gif

I was reading the post last night and was disturbed because a fellow cc'er posted such sarcastic remarks, calling people negative wenches and fat ect... This is totally uncalled for, you can disagree without being so downright nasty. That was no excuse!! Stuff like this causes posts to be locked. Th lady that did the show was showing people who don't have time to bake what they can do . But to tell some homemaker that they can stack a cake without dowels is foolish. As for comments, if you should disagree, disagree with respect . apology should be in order.

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:21pm
post #82 of 180

And summernoelle you were not rude. the person was. so why are you apologizing? There is no excuse for calling people names and saying nasty things to them.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 4:23pm
post #83 of 180

Sure, that cake is not something that anyone here would ever make because you all know what you are doing, but I know lots of people that would love to try to make that, and be very proud of it, even with its red licorice and leaning layers. I am sure that the families of those people would also be impressed, and not think it looked ugly, because their mom/dad never made that type of thing before. If it collapsed, I don't think they would laugh, but rather feel sorry for mom who put in so much effort.

There are tons of people in this country that do not know how to cook at all, so Sandra's show would really appeal to them. It is simple and quick stuff. A good way for people to start out learning cooking, especially if they work and need to make fast meals. (No, I don't have an outside job, I'm a stay-at-home-homeschooling-mom that is quite crafty and cooks/bakes from scratch mostly (except for the WASC, my favorite cake!) Hey wait, the WASC cake is 'semi-homemade'! When I used to have a 'real job' my co-workers called me 'Martha' because I would bring in homemade treats for parties and they would bring in a pack of chips or oreos. Once I had a co-worker call me in a panic because she was assigned to make a carrot salad for a family dinner. She asked me what it meant to "shred the carrots"! I was shocked that she did not know what that meant but asked her if she had a grater. She had no clue what that was. I asked her if she had a metal box with sharp things all around. She said yes, but never knew what it was for. I stayed on the phone with her until she figured out how to shred those carrots. Most of the people in my office were like her. Up until that time, I assumed that everyone knew how to cook/bake and that it was a very easy task.

Robert Irvine made that Quincinerra cake the other night with no dowels. He also soaked it with syrup. He moved it and the cake sat for a bit while people ate dinner and it did not collapse, so for the short term, it might be possible. Sandra's cake may not collapse if it is just being moved to the dining table and eaten in a few hours. I actually made my first tiered cake the same way and it didn't collapse either.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:08pm
post #84 of 180

I swear by the end of that segment the cake looked like it was tilted...I'm just saying!

I'd rather use anything, greasy piping bags that slip out of your hands, a disposible plastic bag that explodes because you cut too much off the tip or a parchment triangle that you have to use 20 of because you just can't get it to open right (OCD) than to use those awkward looking cans. You might as well use a Redi-Whip can! (Sorry if I offended you Redi-Whip man).

Being a New Yorker, hearing people say stuff like, "An this drink is just going to taste gorgeous!". Drinks don't taste gorgeous! Your tastebuds can't see! Fer cryin' out loud!

I'm going to submit an idea to the Food Network for my show called..."Ordering Takeout Like a Pro!"

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:09pm
post #85 of 180

Some of her ideas for recipes (meals) are pretty good. She cooks like a real person. Not everyone has the time or money to cook everything from scratch. But, her cakes are hilarious! I don't watch her anymore, especailly after the episode she had on a childrens birthday party. She had cocktail time at a kids birthday! Seriouslly Sandra, refrane yourself from getting drunk around the kids, not cool thumbsdown.gif . I don't like the morals, so I don't watch. She's a drunk, hense her cakes icon_lol.gif .

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 5:27pm
post #86 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybird

how in God's green earth does anyone cook and stay that skinny???????? You just can't trust anyone who looks that good and shows cleavege (spelling) in the kitchen. Lily

3 year old twins, a very high metabolism and hyperthyroid disease, oh! and my OCD! That's how I stay sexily thin! ROTFL!

I try to show as much cleavage as possible as well because there's nothing better for my DH than a scantily clad me making him food!

OH! And to the poster who commented that if we were supposed "chefs" how come we're not on tv? Well, I have been on tv so there! My local news station asked me if I saw what transpired during a big news story once. How you like them credentials?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:21pm
post #87 of 180

I thought she said she picked up a couple of her favorite cake mixes at the grocery store along with some pre made icing. later in the video she says that it smells so good in her kitchen and she didn't even have to bake(something amok there,eh?). I still say...I'd like to see where she gets the pre-made, from the grocery store icing she used in that episode. It doesn't look like any canned icing I've ever seen.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:42pm
post #88 of 180

Nope she never said cake mixes -- "while I was at the store they had a couple different cake flavors available, they had chocolate and spice so I picked up both of those"... "it smells so good in here and i didn't even have to bake a thing"

Yuck!

mbelgard Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:48pm
post #89 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I thought she said she picked up a couple of her favorite cake mixes at the grocery store along with some pre made icing. later in the video she says that it smells so good in her kitchen and she didn't even have to bake(something amok there,eh?).

Maybe cocktail time came before the cake and she couldn't remember if she bought mixes or prebaked? icon_lol.gif

mbelgard Posted 9 Dec 2008 , 6:59pm
post #90 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahpierce

I don't watch her anymore, especailly after the episode she had on a childrens birthday party. She had cocktail time at a kids birthday! Seriouslly Sandra, refrane yourself from getting drunk around the kids, not cool thumbsdown.gif . I don't like the morals, so I don't watch. She's a drunk, hense her cakes icon_lol.gif .

Are you serious. icon_eek.gif Why would it even occur to someone to have a cocktail time at a kids birthday party much less seem like a good idea? icon_confused.gif With all those extra kids running around it just doesn't seem safe.

Besides I'd think you'd enjoy the cocktail way more after the kids leave. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%