Heating Core

Decorating By lvspaisley Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 7:02pm by cakesdelight

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:33am
post #1 of 12

I tried baking a large sheet cake tonight in an 11 x 14 pan...it took forever to cook and got too brown. I am going to make cake balls out of this one...however, I am wondering if I need the heating core, what it's benefits are, and how do I use it? Does Michael's sell something like that or is it something I'd have to order? The cake is due Tuesday...

Please help!

11 replies
kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:42am
post #2 of 12

I use flower nails. Just coat them to prevent sticking put it nail (sharp) end up in your batter. I would use two for a sheet cake. Also bake at 325 degrees, takes a little longer but bakes more evenly. HTH

rabiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rabiosa Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:54am
post #3 of 12

I've baked larger cakes without a heating core, I just bake them at 325 degrees. Try it, if you still have problems, then is your oven thermostat. I suggest you buy an oven thermometer, check that oven is calibrated correctly. thumbs_up.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:17am
post #4 of 12

How deep is your pan, and how much batter did you use? (And it was an 11x14, not 11x15.)

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your 1st tiered/stacked/layer cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above has info (and personal opinions) on using flower nails or heating cores and/or bake-even strips - and so much more!

HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:24am
post #5 of 12

For over 25 years of baking professionally I never used a heat core - NEVER!
Bake even strips and lower temp will do the job.
It sounds to me like your oven might be off. Have you had it ck'd lately? Do you use a thermoter in the oven? Don't rely on the temp dial.

lvspaisley Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:25am
post #6 of 12

I did bake it at 325 for about 42 minutes...it got very brown on the top and the sides...I guess I need an oven thermometer after all! It also got all bubbly...maybe I had too much batter in the pan?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 1:10pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

How deep is your pan, and how much batter did you use? (And it was an 11x14, not 11x15.)

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your 1st tiered/stacked/layer cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above has info (and personal opinions) on using flower nails or heating cores and/or bake-even strips - and so much more!

HTH

Thank you for the link and the information icon_smile.gif

It's an 11 x 15 actually. I measure it myself! It's about 2 inches deep and I filled it about 3/4 of the way full with two mixes. I think perhaps I should try filling it only half full, yes?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 12

I'm with kakeladi....30 years, never used a heating core, reduce the oven temp, use baking strips. when I bake an 11x15 cake, I use two cake mixes, so you didn't have too much batter. Sometimes I even add a little extra batter, if I'm in a high production day.

Here's a thread on "the science" of baking strips, why they're used and how they work: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=3467363#3467363

lvspaisley Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 6:58pm
post #10 of 12

As usual, you guys are the pros!

Today, I found a chart online that said an 11 x 15 needed about 11 cups of batter. SO, I greased the pan, put two flower nails in it, put parchment over that, then measured the batter out per cup. I had enough batter left over for 6 cupcakes. It didn't get all the way to the top, but pretty close, and it didn't boil over like it did with 2 mixes, although I wish I'd added another cup.

45 minutes later at 325, it's perfect.

Thanks for all the great advice icon_smile.gif

Kristi

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 8 Dec 2008 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 12

Kind of late, and I know I am in the minority, but I love the heating cores:

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/i-love-it-to-core.html

cakesdelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdelight Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:02pm
post #12 of 12

I know this is way late, BUT I just finished baking a 12X18 sheet cake and thought this is not my first time baking this size cake; it's the first time that it baked leveled and didn't get brown on top. I used two size 6 flower nails (greased) and this worked wonderfully. I have to bake two other sheet cake the same size and I'm trying the strips on the next one. I'm just trying to perfect my basics and use all CC'ers advices that I've read in these posts. Thanks everyone that share what you've learned along the way. GREAT TIPS!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%