Edible Image - Help Needed Urgently Please!

Decorating By say_it_with_cake Updated 7 Dec 2008 , 1:56am by say_it_with_cake

say_it_with_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
say_it_with_cake Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 11

I have an edible image ready to place on my cake but can't seem to remove it from the backing paper without the image tearing!

I've never used one before, is there a trick to it? Could someone please tell me how to remove the backing paper? The cake is due tomorrow (it's 11pm here now!) and I'm about ready to give up and leave the backing in place! Please help!

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 11

Charmed, I do not know. I like your idea to leave the backing on. May be somebody smart will pipe up for you, I just didn't want to leave your post unanswered but I think leaving the backing on is a great plan. I know those images are either user friendly or very pesterful. The ones I've ever used were easy.

I love your quote on the bottom of your post!! It's so true!! And sometimes they are so clueless they don't even get how miraculous was thier effort because it was so natural and easy for them.

Blessings on you and your cake.

say_it_with_cake Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 11

Ok, after a bit of a search of the forums, I tried freezing it for a few minutes and sliding a knife underneath. The damn thing still kept tearing so I've had to leave the backing in place (thankfully the cake is for my dad and I'll be doing the cutting).

In my search though I did find comments about cover paper - mine only has backing, no cover. I'm just wondering if that's what the problem was because I'm very reluctant to waste money on one of these things again! Do they usually have cover paper?

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 11

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier, but next time if you put the image in the freezer in the plastic bag & freeze it the paper will come off easily! Then just lay it on the cake. The knife trick works too, I have done that with cookie transfers.

say_it_with_cake Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 11

Thankyou for replying k8memphis, and for your kind words about my signature. My son is autistic and in spite of his many challenges, he proves that lovely saying to me every day icon_smile.gif

As for the edible image, I'm just glad I'll be there to remove it before cutting! It seems very thin so that probably didn't help. I'd like to try using one again in the future though, (maybe from a different supplier) just to see if I have better luck next time lol

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:02pm
post #6 of 11

How did you store the image once you had it? I always kept mine in the fzr in the mylar bag they came in.
What supplier did you get it from?
Since you are not in the U.S. it's hard for sure to say why you had such a problem w/it. But be assured you are not alone. Even I had all kinds of problems w/them until I started storing them in the fzr.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:23pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed_one

Thankyou for replying k8memphis, and for your kind words about my signature. My son is autistic and in spite of his many challenges, he proves that lovely saying to me every day icon_smile.gif

Oh my gosh. I'm tearing up. But I'm not gonna say I know how you feel or what you're going through 'cause I do not. But I raised a hyperactive boy and we had our own kind of challenges.

So I told him this true story about this kid who could not read. Kid's already in third grade and he and everyone else is convinced he's a dummy because he can't read. But sometimes the eyes and brain need longer to naturally grow and develop to allow the child to read.

The 'kid' began to read by the end of fourth grade and grew up to be one of two surgeons on the planet (at that time) that could perform this 'impossible' spinal surgery. Read that in the Reader's Digest.

say_it_with_cake Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 11

I purchased the image from a lady who prints them herself and she provided no instructions or advice on how to apply it. I didn't question that as I thought it'd be straightforward to use icon_rolleyes.gif
It's summer here and temps are reaching over 32 degrees C (around 90F) so that doesn't help either lol. The cake still turned out alright (backing and all) but I'll definitely try storing in the freezer next time!

Thanks for sharing such a lovely story! Hearing of success against the odds like that is what keeps me going on our more difficult days icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 10:57pm
post #9 of 11

You should be able to put the edible image in the freezer for about 5 minutes and when you go to retrieve it, it will have popped off the baking paper. You can then lift it off and place it on the cae. Now that's if you have an edible image on an icing sheet.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 1:14am
post #10 of 11

I agree with leahs.. I store mine ( Edible Image - on an Icing sheet) in my pantry in the bag they come in, and when Im ready to use it I just pop it in the freezer for a couple mins and it pops right off the baking.

say_it_with_cake Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 1:56am
post #11 of 11

Thanks, I'll definitely try that next time icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%