Help With Timeline And Refrigeration Question

Decorating By Mom2ANC Updated 4 Dec 2008 , 3:05am by Mom2ANC

Mom2ANC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2ANC Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 6

First, I want to say thanks to everyone here that answers questions for us newbies. I feel like all I do is post question after question, but you all are gracious to answer. I hope that some day, I will be on the answering end.

I am giving a cake to someone on Saturday, but their party is not until Sunday.
I wanted to fill, ice and stack the cake on Friday, and then decorate it Saturday.
Will it still taste good on Sunday?
How should I store it after it is filled and iced? Please read my filling recipe and tell me if it needs refrigeration if it is going to be out 48 hours.
(From Martha Stewart)
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup conf. sugar
vanilla, raspberry jam

I am baking the cake today, but will put it in the freezer until Friday evening (then I will thaw it before I fill and ice it)

If it does need refrigeration, is that the best way to store the cake, or will it make it dry by Sunday? Would the cake/frosting still taste good Sunday if it is left out 48 hours if it does not need refrigeration?

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 6

It does not need refrigerationicon_smile.gif
I would remove cake from fzr Thurs evening or Fri a.m. so it has time to thaw. Depending on the size of the cake it could take from 1 to 10 hrs. If you add crumb coating to what you do fri it seals the cake so you don't need to frig it. It will not dry out at all.

Mom2ANC Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 6

OK, so there is enough sugar in the filling to make it OK for 3 days outside the frig?
So, Friday, I torte, fill, crumb coat, ice, and stack the cake, then Saturday I decorate it, and Sat night it is picked up, and Sunday it is eaten and will be moist, safe, and delicious?
Sounds too good to be true! icon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2ANC

OK, so there is enough sugar in the filling to make it OK for 3 days outside the frig?
So, Friday, I torte, fill, crumb coat, ice, and stack the cake, then Saturday I decorate it, and Sat night it is picked up, and Sunday it is eaten and will be moist, safe, and delicious?

Sugar isn't a preservative. The reason it can stay out is you don't have anything that will spoil in it.

Mike

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 6

I never refrigerate my cakes. Cakes are not as fragile as people seem to think. Think back to your mom or your gramma putting that leftover cake under the glass dome, sitting in the corner of the counter for days and days until it was finally eaten up.

Days and days.

Mom2ANC Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:05am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2ANC

Sugar isn't a preservative. The reason it can stay out is you don't have anything that will spoil in it.

Mike

I am so confused.
Does butter not spoil? Or milk in frosting?
Also, I have seen other places on the site that milk and even whipping cream in buttercream frosting are OK because the sugar helps keep them from spoiling. I would never leave milk out for 3 days and expect to use it in something.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%