How Do You Get Powdered Sugar Off Your Fondant?

Decorating By bellabiaggio Updated 1 Dec 2008 , 3:40pm by leah_s

bellabiaggio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellabiaggio Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 2:55am
post #1 of 13

I love covering my cakes and decorating with Satin Ice Fondant, but how do I get my cakes clean? I always dust my board and rolling pin with confectioners sugar so that it doesn't stick, but they always look dusty. I have used a small paintbrush to get it off, but it's never perfect. I have gone so far as using a wet paintbrush on the accent pieces, but that just make is look really shiny like patent leather. Any suggestions?

12 replies
ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:03am
post #2 of 13

First I try to use cornstarch instead of powdered sugar, less sticky, then to remove a good amount of that "dusty" dull look use a portable steamer (iron) Wally world sells one for around 30.00. It's nothing fancy but does the trick. Just go over your fondant lightly withthe steamer and you should end with a nicelooking product.

bellabiaggio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellabiaggio Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:41am
post #3 of 13

I have an upright steamer on wheels for clothes. I suppose I could try that if that is what you are talking about. What about the steam option on my regular Rowent iron?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 4:04am
post #4 of 13

I hate the extra work that using PS or CS generates, so I roll my fondant out on a piece of vinyl or a silicone mat swiped with a small amount of crisco--owrks like a charm.

HTH
Rae

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 4:22am
post #5 of 13

I always use a towel and brush the cake with crisco. It dries perfectly and takes off all of the extra cornstarch/powdered sugar. It looses the glossy look in a few hours and looks great!

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 4:23am
post #6 of 13

I always use a little Crisco as well. I live in Utah, where it is very dry, so the Crisco keeps the fondant from drying out, as well as avoiding sticking to surface.

AlixsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlixsCakes Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 7:13am
post #7 of 13

Sorry to be dopey - but what's Crisco? I don't think we have it in the UK...but I definitely have the same problem with 'dusty' looking fondant. icon_redface.gif

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 7:38am
post #8 of 13

It's vegetable shortening, but you can also airbrush your fondant with vodka and works great when it dries which is really fast

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 8:36am
post #9 of 13

I just use some viva towel bunched up and polish and dust the fondant with it!

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 9:17am
post #10 of 13
farizahani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farizahani Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 9:24am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixsCakes

Sorry to be dopey - but what's Crisco? I don't think we have it in the UK...but I definitely have the same problem with 'dusty' looking fondant. icon_redface.gif

Crisco is shortening (vegetable fat),in UK it called TREX or white flora,u can easily get it from asda,tesco or morisson. thumbs_up.gif

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 12:59pm
post #12 of 13

my cakes look a bit dusty when I make them. However I brush the excess off with a small brush and leave in it's box overnight. By the next day all the dustiness has disappeared. I think it must be something to do with moisture in the air but do check the following day before assuming you have a problem

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:40pm
post #13 of 13

The best way to get the ps/cs off the fondant is to not put it on there in the first place. I roll fondant on the counter with a bit of veg shortening rubbed onto the countertop. A vinyl mat also works fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%