How Do I Fix My Icing?

Decorating By wildflower Updated 28 Nov 2008 , 4:26pm by wildflower

wildflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflower Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 8

hi everyone
i just made a batch of crisco based icing and i used the wilton recipe...i usually use sugarshacks but i was out of high ratio shortening.,,anyway i noticed that my icing turned out kind of different...like it seemed greasier than usual...and thats never happened before when i used to use crisco
i know its a long shot but does anyone have any suggestions?i checked the box and it didnt say anything about it being trans fat free
any help would be appreciated
thanks!

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 12:20am
post #2 of 8

what's the ratio of shortening to sugar in the ratio you used? How does it differ from your regular recipe?

wildflower Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 12:25am
post #3 of 8

hi debi
the ratio was one cup shortening to a little over one pound of icing sugar
it didnt really differ from my old crisco based recipe,just that i had stopped using crisco for a while and had switched to sugarshacks recipe with the high ratio

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 12:59am
post #4 of 8

even when I don't have hi ratio shortening, I still use sugarshacks reciepe, just using crisco instead. Still has worked out well. Could you try adding more powder sugar. Sometimes I also will add a little meringue powder, sometimes helps it crust a little.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 2:13am
post #5 of 8

sltoklahoma is right.....don't have to have hi-ratio to make the icing w/SugarShack's method.
I bet somehow you didn't measure the Crisco porperly so just add a bit more pwdr sugar. That should end the problem.

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 8

I've had some problems too, I am not for sure if its the same but mine is that the icing is airy or full of holes. I have tried Indydebi's recipe several times. It is good but has holes. I have done Sugarshack's still has holes. How do you fix the holes? Is there a bit of something that you can put in the batch to make it more creamy?? That way the smoothing technique after applied will actually work.

Kakeladi and stloklahoma---You both stated you don't have to use high ratio to make sugarshack recipe work....are you saying it is just as smooth as in the video? I just want one recipe that comes out of the bowl smooth. I have a 6 qt kitchenaid and I want to use one good smooth recipe.

Please help

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 1:12pm
post #7 of 8

Bump........Good questions.....I'd like answers to these also.

wildflower Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 4:26pm
post #8 of 8

thnx for the replies everyone!i didnt know you could substitue crisco in sugarshacks recipe so thats awesome!
i made another batch and this one turned out fine so i think that maybe i put too much liquid without realizing in my first batch,and luckily the first batch i made wasnt horrible,just a little greasier than usual,it did crust so hopefully it was just a one time thing
as for the people who were wondering how to get rid of the holes in sugarshacks recipe,you have to make sure you mix it exactly how she explains in the video and if you did that and still saw holes,just add more liquid and they will go away
the first time i made sugarshacks recipe i had the same problem and i asked her what to do and she suggested i add more liquid and let it mix again until there are no air pockets and the paddle is covered from one side of the bowl to the next
i didnt think it would make that much of a difference but my icing turned out just like hers did in the video all smooth and creamy so maybe you could try that and mixing it a little longer
hth!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%