Can Buttercream Sit Out?

Decorating By wakycat Updated 21 Nov 2008 , 4:13pm by grammynan

wakycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wakycat Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 9

(First time cake decorator)
Using ButterCream Dream and ButterCream for Frozen Transfers
I am making two cakes which require a lot of colours. I have read on here that you need to let colours sit for a while when using buttercream because they darken. I would like to make the icing next Thursday to use to decorate on Friday. If I mix the icing and add my colours can I leave them on the counter over night in air tight containers? If I have to put the icing in the fridge do I have to re-whip the icing?

Sorry for all the questions I just want to do things right the first time.

8 replies
jlewis888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlewis888 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 9

I have done this without any problem. Watch your temperature in your house--don't have the heat too high though.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 9

Yes -- it can definitely sit out. I leave mine out for about 2 weeks. And yes.. I always rewhip for a little bit.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 9

Don't expect a lot of color change unless they are dark colors like royal blue; brown; black; red etc.
And as the others said, most "American Buttercream" recipes can safely stay on the counter if properly covered for up to a week or two.
I doubt SMBC or IMBC could.

wakycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wakycat Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks
I was worried because the BC Dream has a few table spoons of milk in it.

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 8:07am
post #6 of 9

wow icon_eek.gif I didn't know BC could stay out that long.... I was wondering this the other day when i saw BC at the local bulk barn and it was not in the fridge ...hummm nthis is good to know... What th best way to keep out? Should be in a container or can I just use plastic wrap over the bowl?? As well can BC be frozen and if so for how long?

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 8:22am
post #7 of 9

o and how long is Bc good in the fridge??
Thanks a buch u cc ppl rock!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 12:51pm
post #8 of 9

In the frig it can be kept if in a well sealed container for up to a month - depending on the recipe used.
Yes, b'c can be fzn - again if in a well sealed container for over a yearicon_smile.gif
Just covering a bowl w/plastic wrap is not enough. Best in a jar w/tight fitting lid, but Tubberwear type plastics are o.k.

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 9

I freeze all my colors in the decorating bag. That way when I do a cake I just pick out the colors I need and let them thaw out. Then they go back in the freezer until next time. Sometimes the icing gets thinner, but by the time that happens, I'm ready to fill a new bag anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%