Decorating Whipped Cream Cakes

Decorating By Monkess Updated 24 Nov 2008 , 5:39pm by jobueno

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 5

Hey everyone!
I have a little..issue...our best seller is a fruit and cream cake- vanilla sponge filled with fresh fruits and richs whipped topping and iced with the same. Now the cream as some of you may know does colour but into a rather dull shade...as a result I end up doing all of them with either choclate drizzles or almonds on the side and fruit on the top. The cake looks rather attractive.
The problem is that increasingly repeat customers want the same cake but for a child, most often understandably want some design on it.
The only way out I thought was to plop a BC trasfer on top-which incidently I think takes too long in comparrison to adding just the fruits -so should I be charging for the BC trasfer? I charge $40 for a 10" for the fruit and cream alone. Alternatively I have used deco pak kits successfully but then I pay $6 for one- again bumping up the cost of the cale.
Are there any other ways I could decorate this cake? It is difficult to justify even to myself that a BC cake can cost $40 with any design but the fruit one has to be close to $50!
Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 5

Yes charge for the image. If your cakes are worth $40 they'll worth even more with extra work done to them.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 12:06am
post #3 of 5

Just as you thought to put a fbct, why couldn't you decorate it with b/c? I often did it at one bakery(just had to make sure all ingredients got listed) when the customer wanted certain colors that weren't available in whipped. I just informed them that their decorations would be in b/c. Not one(and there were hundreds...at least) had a problem with it.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 3:06am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Quote:

Just as you thought to put a fbct, why couldn't you decorate it with b/c? I often did it at one bakery(just had to make sure all ingredients got listed) when the customer wanted certain colors that weren't available in whipped. I just informed them that their decorations would be in b/c. Not one(and there were hundreds...at least) had a problem with it.

Well...first because I think the taste of whipped is quite distinct from bc and someone who doesnt necessarily want bc shouldnt have to contend with that taste. And second I find that the bc doesnt stick to the whipped and decorating is quite a challenge with the bc lifting off when you move your bag up and down...but since you obviously had success with it..there must be something I am doing wrong! icon_biggrin.gif

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 5

would it be possible for you to mix buttercreme and whipped icing? I have done it in the past and has turned out ok.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%