Help Attaching Fresh Flowers To A Cake

Decorating By babybelle Updated 16 Aug 2014 , 2:17pm by LittleLinda

babybelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybelle Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 3:05am
post #1 of 13

I really need some advice from anyone who has done a cake with fresh flowers. I have a client who wants a 2 tier cake with fesh iris's cascading down the side from top to bottom. How to I go about doing it? They are fresh so do I attach them the same day so they don't wilt?
Any help would be great !!!
Thanks

12 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 3:35am
post #2 of 13

Use those little containers - uuuggggg can't think of what they are called flower picks? YOu put a few drops of water in them & the flower.
Do NOT let any of the flowers touch the cake. Are you going to be there to serve it? If so you can use lots of extra icing to stick the wrapped flower stems in, then be sure to scrape it away and not serve that extra icing. To wrap the stems: wet a small piece of cotton ball; wrap with floral tape covering the stem completely, enclosing the cotton ball.

babybelle Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 2:57am
post #3 of 13

No I won't be there to serve it. How do I avoid the flowers touching the cake If I am sticking them in? I am a little confused, I don't want to mess it up .

Thanks for the input icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 3:12am
post #4 of 13

You either use flower spikes, or wrap each stem in floral tape.

babybelle Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 2:17am
post #5 of 13

I can stick them into the cake just like that?
How long will they last before they start to wilt?
Does anybody know?

TIA

leah_s Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 3:11am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by babybelle

I can stick them into the cake just like that?
How long will they last before they start to wilt?
Does anybody know?

TIA

They should look fine (with stems wrapped) for 10 hours or so.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 3:38am
post #7 of 13

I remember seeing Irises on the lists of toxic flowers...am I wrong? If you wrap them, it's ok?

babybelle Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 3:43am
post #8 of 13

Thanks Leahs!

I will buy the flowers the morning of and then stick them in, I am going to use roses instead of the iris'.

icon_smile.gif

babybelle Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 3:46am
post #9 of 13

I noticed someone said not to let the flowers touch the cake. Why? and how do I keep them from touching the cake if I am sticking them into the cake?

leah_s Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 1:54pm
post #10 of 13

In an ideal world, no parts of the flower should touch the cake. In the practical world, I just don't want the flower stems leaking their chemicals into the cake.

Also if this is for a customer, the florist should be preparing the flowers for you. They "process" their flowers and remove a lot of the chemicals and add food safe chemicals into the fowers that make them safer - not safe, but safer. At least this is the process used by the florist that I recommend in my town. I know what he's adding to the flowers and it's safe to drink. I honestly don't know if they all do it, but florists "process" their flowers. You'll have to ask what it exactly is that they do in your town. If you're buying flowers from the grocery they have not been "processed."

But to get back to your original question, if you're adding an entire layer of flowers (the Tower of Roses cake, for example) then you can lay down a circle of waxed paper under where the flowers go. If you're just sticking them into the sides fo the cake, the flower spikes hold the heads away the cake slightly. If it's a topper, then the florist should be arranging the flowers in a little bowl/holder. If you're going to wrap each stem in floral tape, then the florist will cut the stem off, insert a wire and tape the whole thing.

babybelle Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 2:22pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks again LeahS

You have been extremely helpful, I appreciate you taking your time to explain so thoroughly for me.

I can't wait to try it!!

Again, Thank you icon_smile.gif

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 3:25pm
post #12 of 13

Whenever I have a client that wants flowers cascading down her whole cake, I tell her that she needs to get the flowers from the florist & have the florist wire them in a cascade approx. 18"-20" long (Or whatever length would be good for your size of cake). That way it is easy because I do not have to worry about the flowers not wanting to stay in the cake, or poking holes, etc. Everything is all one piece, already assembled & all I have to do is put it on the cake when I deliver it. You can take a piece of parchment or wax paper & make a thin "base" to lay the cascade on so the flowers do not touch the cake. Once the flowers are on top, you will not see the paper.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 16 Aug 2014 , 2:17pm
post #13 of 13

I know this is an OLD post; but I'd like to see a picture of the cascade of flowers before and after it's attached to the cake.  Do you have one?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%