Weepy Buttercream And A 'moisture Layer' In My Cakes!!!?????

Decorating By Tallycake Updated 14 Dec 2008 , 10:24pm by __Jamie__

Tallycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tallycake Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 10

Hey ya'll...

Ok so this happened last month and it had never happened before so I thought it was just some weird mojo...BUT

This weekened it happened again so ALL six cakes I baked and for the two batches of buttercream!

The cakes are golden, gorgeous, and the 'stick' comes out clean...but then when you cut into it...it has a wierd 'wet' looking layer at the bottom...small but still not good...

And my buttercream got GROSS this weekend...again, lovely at first, but then all weepy and slimy looking...had to do a great deal of 'patting' with papertowels and even dusted it with powered sugar to take away the shine. It didn't taste great, but it wasn't awful and the client didn't complain. But I had an AWFUL time getting it to do anything I needed it to....cracking, crumpbly...just awful!

WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?!?! Anybody out there with some wisdom for me??? I have major orders for Thanksgiving!!! HELP!

Thanks ya'll!

9 replies
stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 12:59am
post #2 of 10

I kind of get that when I make WASC. When I put my hand on it to flip it over or whatever I'm doing with it, it has like a really moist top "skin" that sticks to my hand. I don't think there's anything wrong with that? Is it something beyond that?
As for the buttercream, what are you using? IMBC/SMBC can get a little wheepy if you don't mix it up well enough after the butter. If it's any other kind of BC, I can't really help you. oh wait, i read this on another post. If you're using crisco, they've changed to transfat free or something to that effect. I wonder if that's made a difference in your icing?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 1:08am
post #3 of 10

Hi Tallycake; Nice to see you 'coming out of the closet' (from lurkdom)!

It's going to be a bit hard to help you - especially on the b'cream w/o more info (like the recipe used). Are you baking w/mixes or scratch recipes? Any chance you took any pix to show us?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 4:29am
post #4 of 10

sounds like zero trans fat crisco???

jennianne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennianne Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 10

The last 2 cakes I made had "droopy" icing! It was like it was molten frosting and was gathering at the base of the cake...and it never did that before. The temp/humidity/indgredients haven't changed. But I just checked my container...0 Trans Fat Crisco! Hhhmmm...

sugarshack Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 10

DEF the crisco!

momdalejr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momdalejr Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 10

So what do you suggest using instead of crisco... first time cake baker....Brenda

sugarshack Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 10

i prefer hi ratio shortening but its costs more. look for a store brand shortening that has trans fat in it

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 9:33pm
post #9 of 10

Sounds to me like it's your shortening. I found a store brand that has 3 grams of trans fats in it and I bought enough to last awhile in case they start removing trans fats like Crisco has. My icing holds up MUCH better!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 10:24pm
post #10 of 10

I thought I had been using shortening with Trans Fat this whole time....went to look at back of container....0 trans fat. I have always been happy with my buttercream...never a complaint! I am going to go experiment with shortening with trans fat this afternoon. What is going to be different with my batch of icing? Can anyone tell me, being that I have always used without transfat, and been happy?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%