Is This A Good Deal??

Business By CakeInfatuation Updated 9 Nov 2008 , 5:32pm by CakeInfatuation

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 16

Okay... so I'm just researching a little to see how much money is needed to get a shop going. I came across this ad on Craigslist and wanted to get some feedback.

Do YOU think this is a good deal?

Last Chance - Turnkey Bakery Business - $1 (Lahaska Pa./Bucks Cty)
Reply to: [email protected] [?]
Date: 2008-10-20, 9:55AM EDT

I have a bakery type business in Penn's Purchase next to Peddlers Village that needs to be taken over soon. Due to my time constraints, I am looking for any offer on the business or if you have another business and need equipment, space, fixtures, and a lease. Either way, any offer will include all of the equipment, fixtures, space, and lease. All you need to do schedule an appointment to see the place and if you like it make an offer. I will not turn away any offer. The store is 900 square feet and the rent is $1,500 a month which includes all of your utilities except phone and internet (if needed). I need to finalize this situation as soon as possible so your gain is my loss. This space is located right on Rt 202 and has a lot of traffic passing by all day, especially the weekends. I have the equipment list and financials I can send but only if you are really interested. To be upfront, the business is currently closed so please don't send me e-mails about how much the business makes a week/month. This is a perfect business for someone who wants to start out small and make it grow. I have pictures if interested.
LL
LL
LL
LL

15 replies
pmaucher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmaucher Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 16

Wait, she is offering this for a $1. Have you ever Penn to Peddlers Village.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 16

Any ideas how much business they had? Is there a lot of foot traffic? Do you think you could make the rent/utilities in the area it's located? Why are they selling so fast and so cheap? I'd be leary.

CakeInfatuation Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 16

Peddler's Village is a huge attraction in this area. They have a website. It's boutique/outlet/dinner theater/fine dining/festivals/etc. It's where people to on a nice day to walk around and shop, dates, and more.

Rent is high BUT it's in Peddler's Village. I really don't want a "bakery". Just want a cake shop. But I'm just curious if it is a good deal. I wouldn't go for it. Granted if I could, I'd offer him less than he is asking for the equipment. He said he wouldn't turn down any offer. ha ha

I guess my biggest question is on the equipment. When I go there... I want to know what a good deal is.

Thanks!

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 16

All for $1?! Lol!

I guess you should make an offer based on what you can afford/are willing to spend - and if they accept it, then yes, it's a good deal. I honestly wouldn't have reposted the ad though, as there may be someone else in your area just waiting for an opportunity like this (if I lived there, I'd be ALL over it!)

Good luck.

pmaucher Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 16

I live in Bucks County also, and spend alot of time at Peddlers Village. I just went onto Penns Purchase website to try and Figure out where the store might me located within the complex. From you pics, I was able to figure out the name of previous bakery, but still unable to find the location of the store. I pursonally dont think I would take that particular store, (but it still would depend on the exact location). For some reason Penns doesnt get alot of foot traffic, except for Coach. I think all the people at Peddlers forget about it. Their are alot of empty stores in complex. Go for the items inside the bakery.

Pam

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:44pm
post #7 of 16

It "sounds" like a good deal. The $1,500 per month is about normal for where I live. (Near Birmingham, AL). But, I would get a list of the equipment and details about the lease, in writing, before I ever made an offer. It looks like a nice place. Could the business have gone under because of the economy? Hmmm. If nothing else you may be able to get some really nice equipment to use at another location if you don't want to use the space offered.

pmaucher Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:44pm
post #8 of 16

Dont worry, Im just a hobbiest looking for a cake decorating job. I dont have the means to open up my own shop.

pmaucher Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:47pm
post #9 of 16

shill
I found the website for the bakery if you want it, I can pm it to you. I'm just amazed they are selling it that cheap, and alittle curious now. I love doing investigative work icon_lol.gif

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:47pm
post #10 of 16

I want the oven!

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:57pm
post #11 of 16

Do people really think this is being offered for $1?! The seller wants to start taking offers - no way this would sell for less than $15k (and possible way more depending on the equipment list). That mixer alone is worth about $5k.

pmaucher Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:57pm
post #12 of 16

I think this might be the small little place attached to Coach. If it is, You should buy it. It's really small and you said you wanted a cake shop. And you know, the people in the area are made of money. I have been looking for cake shops locally (to see if they are hiring), and I havent found one in that area. So that would be a benefit for you.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:28pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleKitten

Do people really think this is being offered for $1?! The seller wants to start taking offers - no way this would sell for less than $15k (and possible way more depending on the equipment list). That mixer alone is worth about $5k.

It doe say they won't turn away any offer though. I know they'll get more than 1 offer and will take the best, but couldn't hurt trying if a shop is what you want. If it's in a good area, it might not hurt to give it a try.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:43pm
post #14 of 16

Can I ask why don't you do it from home? Why go to the expense of a bakery if you only want to do cakes?

Mike

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:56pm
post #15 of 16

Wow, that is a gorgeous shop!

He is desperate to get out of it. Why? Did he not have enough business to make his lease? Or was he overwhelmed by business loans AND the rent payments?

Also strange, he won't tell you how much business he gets per month...

I don't know. It could be great, but you could also end up in the hole. If you would need a loan to get the equipment, just realize that when you borrow money for a business, you are often using your home, etc, for collateral-just be careful. You don't want to lose everything.

CakeInfatuation Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 5:32pm
post #16 of 16

No... he is asking $6000 for the equipment. I didn't realize that wasn't included in the body of the message. He is no longer offering the lease. Just the equipment and he says he won't turn down any offer.

If I could store the equipment and I had the money... I'd make him an offer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%