I May Need To Tell My Husband To Stop Helping Me

Decorating By hallow3 Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 6:06am by Chippi

hallow3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallow3 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 16

I was asked by a coworker if I could do a Scooby Doo Mystery Machine cake. I said I never done a 3-D car before but I will try. So I set up to do a trial run on Scooby a couple of weeks before to make sure that I can carve, have enough icing, and can possibly make windows ect. So my husband decides to help me carve and frost the cake for me, mind you this is a prototype, so I was not going to color it or anything just test to make sure I can do this. I made a 11x 14 cake cut it in 3 and stacked. I got it carved for the van. Then my husband, takes over and needs to "tweek" my work. At this point, I give up and give in. The next thing I know the "van" gets a ladder, an orange light on top and a Comcast sign on the side, He even wrecks the side. I thought it was the ugliest thing I ever saw. He takes it to work anyway. The people there love it and they take a picture of it and sends it to the corporate office and guess what? They are going to publish it in the comcast employee paper! OMG, I am so embarassed to have this in a paper for all to see.
LL

15 replies
KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 16

did he tell them you decorated it, or that he did, if he did, then it's fine, if he said you did, I think I would make another cake and send it off with him to work. You might have to sit down and give him some lessons, it sounds like he has the bug. Who knows a year from now you might be a famous cake decorating team.

sarahbasile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahbasile Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 16

LOL, this one made me laugh. The most I have ever let my husband do is to roll fondant pearls...and even then, I re-roll them. He has no concept of what ROUND should be...either that, or he was too busy watching TV to watch what he was doing. I just ask him to stay out of the kitchen. Thanks for sharing this icon_smile.gif

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:39am
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahbasile

LOL, this one made me laugh. The most I have ever let my husband do is to roll fondant pearls...and even then, I re-roll them. He has no concept of what ROUND should be...either that, or he was too busy watching TV to watch what he was doing. I just ask him to stay out of the kitchen. Thanks for sharing this icon_smile.gif

My husband helps me all the time and you know what..he carves better than me. So I take advantage and let him do the carving while i do the other stuff. Its so cute how focused he is when he's sculpting the cake. Of course I tell him to stay outta my way when I'm decorating icon_wink.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 16

My hubby is great support:
1) he lets me bake and decorate without whining that we can't go anywhere else, even if it takes me all weekend
2) he volunteers to go to the store for me and doesn't complain if I run out of something and need an emergency trip to the store, he just goes
3) he goes to cake shows with me and enjoys them (to some degree)
4) tells me to buy whatever cake supplies I need/want and doesn't say a word
5) he brags on my cakes to others and actually calls my mom and friend to come see them when they are finished icon_biggrin.gif

So, when I mentioned that maybe he could start helping me do the cleanup, he mentioned all of the other ways he supports me but the kitchen stuff is mine and he's not touching it. icon_lol.gif

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:33am
post #6 of 16

Not to brag, but........... icon_lol.gif

My DH does all of the above AND cleans up after me in the kitchen without being asked and with no complaints! How lucky am I?????? icon_biggrin.gif

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:37am
post #7 of 16

Soo cute and funny! Don't you just love husbands! They're great for a good laugh! Mine doesn't come near my cakes to help. He's afraid he'll mess something up. He also can't decide if he wants me to bake for his office or not. One day he's like "you shoud bake so everyone can see and taste your cakes and cookies" and the next day he's like "if you bake then you'll be stressed out because they'll want more". I love him! You gotta love yours too! I think it's exciting that your cake will be published, even if it was half done by your hubby!

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:11am
post #8 of 16

omg! this is the cutest story! I wish my husband was that "helpful". He's my worst critic, of course in a good way. He's always encouraging me to try different things or suggest things that I am not really capable of without 5 years of practice but I try it anyway. "you know what would look good right there?" hmmm, let me think, something physically impossible to do? too too funny! Thanks for sharing! icon_biggrin.gif

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 5:02pm
post #9 of 16

I don't even touch the fondant anymore. If I start to do it my sweetie says "O.K. move over. Give me that rolling pin". He rolls it out every time and helps to place it on the cake. Most of the time he fills and does the trimming of the stacked cakes and crumb coats and does it perfectly!! He helps to clean up the kitchen and runs to the store to get supplies... What a guy! I think I will keep him! icon_biggrin.gif It's so nice to have my artist's pallet ready to go so I can focus on the creative part. Of course, he can only help when he's off work so I don't always have his help when I make a cake. This is his second job!

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:40pm
post #10 of 16

Wow! You're a lucky girl!

Michele01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele01 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:25am
post #11 of 16

That was such a cute story. It made me laugh.

Diane 706 - I actually let my husband do the carving also. He is much better at it. I get to the point that the more I carve, the smaller the cake gets, and then it's ruined. He also helps roll the fondant, if he is home when I am at that point.

jcaste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcaste Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 6:03am
post #12 of 16

Funny story. hehe!!

Well ladies seems like the guys are more interested in the sculpting huh? I am learning how to make my first topsy turvy cake & I asked for his help. Ive been asking for his help but the only help I have gotten from him is eating the leftover cake. icon_lol.gif but with this topsy turvy cake its a lil confusing at first & "2 heads r better than 1" so I asked for his help in understanding. When it came to the cutting in an angle he had no problem sculpting & really got into it. Didn't even let me get the knife. He did my other cakes today too & sculpt. I think I just found out what I can have him assist me in. The sculpting scares me because I feel like I will cut too much. ANyways.... He is now my "sculpting assistant" hehe~

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 6:34am
post #13 of 16

you are lucky girls! "The boyfriend" is really good at eating cake, frosting, filling...especially when he's not suppost to. Thats about it. lol.

Ohh, he does fix the disposal. ok, he's good. hehe.

AlixsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlixsCakes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 6:43am
post #14 of 16

Wow - there are some seriously dedicated other halves out there!
I can't complain though, my husband doesn't get very involved in the cake making but he does take lots of photos, has set up a website (and enjoys eating the off-cuts of course!)

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 11:17pm
post #15 of 16

My husband is a sweetie too! He helps with the cleaning and he is really supporting. However, the problem is that he is more perfectionist than me, and if he watches how I decorate a cake and I point out a mistake, it will bother him forever. If I don't let him watching me, he founds my cakes beautiful (even though I know they are not perfect). So, I've learnt my lesson!

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:06am
post #16 of 16

My hubby is awesome! He knows that after I have spent all day making a cake that I am pretty worn out and I usually take a good hour break afterwards before cleaning up. He goes right in there and cleans it up without mentioning. Wow we are so blessed to have such wonderful husbands. Mine is sick right at the moment so I am taking really good care of him. I can't afford to lose my kitchen help! lol icon_smile.gif

Chippi!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%