Icing Cake The Night Before....

Decorating By jcaste Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 11:04pm by kandu001

jcaste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcaste Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:56am
post #1 of 16

I am preparing for a cake I will decorate tomorrow night to deliver Friday morning. Cakes were baked Tuesday night & placed in freezer. Im "trying" to make MMF for the first time, having few difficulties. I also made some buttercream icing. Can I cover the cake in icing & place in freezer??

Im trying to make it easier on myself. Im a newbie & have only made a few cakes since I have started learning how to decorate cakes (since Sept). In the past I would do everything from scratch the night before it had to be delivered & it was too exhausting. ANy advice?

15 replies
sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 5:18am
post #2 of 16

I read your other thread about MMF, so hopefully the advice on there will help.

A lot of ladies on this site swear by freezing cakes. I, personally, avoid it at all costs. If you buttercream your cake and place it in an airtight container, like a cake carrier, you will have no worries. Even if you dont buttercream your cake you can do that. Generally, once icing is on a cake you dont have to worry about it getting dry because the icing will protect it.
Also, don't freeze fondant. Just too many things to go wrong there.

jcaste Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 5:46am
post #3 of 16

ok awesome!! thanks once AGAIN!! you are my hero! icon_razz.gif

i will ice my cake tonight & smooth it out then place it in my cake carrier to be ready to decorate tomorrow.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 16

I always bake early int he week and get cakes in the freezer at least overnight. And cakes are ALWAYS completed the night prior to delivery.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 16

I personally don't freeze any of my cakes. I bake a day or two before and store in wrap and air tight container. Everyone always says how moist my cakes are (compared to the store).

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly831915

I personally don't freeze any of my cakes. I bake a day or two before and store in wrap and air tight container. Everyone always says how moist my cakes are (compared to the store).

me too!! icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I always bake early int he week and get cakes in the freezer at least overnight. And cakes are ALWAYS completed the night prior to delivery.

same here.

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 16

I know this is not really answering your direct question, but it seems like you got some great advice on that already. I like to ice my cakes the night before and let them sit over night because it seems like the flavor of the icing meshes well with the cake then...if that makes any sense. icon_smile.gif Good luck!

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 16

I never beleived in freezing cakes before this last week. Let me tell you my cakes turned out great. There was some people that I work with that ate the cake that was frozen, and said it was wonderful. So I was happy. The cakes were easier to frost I thought too. But back to the frosting. I have never frosted a cake and put in the freezer, but I would recommend freezing just a plain cake. It helps out tremondously if you are short on time or have lots of orders!!

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:21pm
post #10 of 16

I usually freeze my cakes too, because it does make icing them a lot easier in my eye! It helps with the crumb coat especially with chocolate cakes! I have never had luck with MMF, so I use rolled BC instead, works the same as MMF. I don't freeze cakes with BC on them but do put them in the fridge, in a box! I am working on a cake due tomorrow and have it crumb coated and the rolled BC on it, will finish it later today. I HATE rushing around and trying to get things finished, I want to relax after the cake is finished! Good Luck!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:40pm
post #11 of 16

I always freeze my cakes for the next week of orders. I always get compliments on how moist my cakes are! remember.. the customer is ALWAYS right!

penster1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penster1 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:55pm
post #12 of 16

Silvercat,
what is rolled butter cream? I did a search in recepies and no luck finding anything like it. I would love to try it, I make the MMF and so far it works fine for me I just don't like the taste, its too sweet
Thanks

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 5:25pm
post #13 of 16

I have never frozen an iced cake, but some of my customers have frozen my cakes after I have delivered them, and said they were fine. However, I almost always bake and torte my cakes ahead of time and place them in the freezer until it is time to crumb coat them. It is especially helpful if I have a lot of orders in a short period of time. I, too, always complete my cake the day before it is to be delivered. It then goes into the refrigerator. Once it is firmed up nicely, I box it so that it can safely be transported. icon_smile.gif

jcaste Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 6:22pm
post #14 of 16

thanks to everyone who replied!! I guess it's just one of those things that everyone has their own way of doing. I just wanted to make sure it was ok to ice my cake the night before.

What is rolled BC?? Im going to try the MMF (again) tonight & let's hope how it turns out this time. hehe!!

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 7:01pm
post #15 of 16

Here is the RBC recipe that I use on my cookeis....I've never tried it on cake - can't wait to try it!

1c shortening
1c clear corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon clear butter flavoring
1 teaspoon clear vanilla
1/2 teaspoon popcorn salt (fine grain salt)
Aprox 2 lb powdered sugar

This needs a heavy-duty mixer with paddle blade.

Place shortening and corn syrup into mixing bowl and beat until creamy.
Add flavorings and salt and beat until blended.
Mix in sugar a little at a time until blended thoroughly.
Turn icing onto work surface and knead until smooth and well blended.
Store in sealed plastic bag and then place in airtight container, let sit for about 30 minutes.

Icing can be refrigerated for several weeks or frozen for several months. Let come to room temp before using.

To test for readiness: pull the icing apart. If it stretches when pulled it is too soft. Add 1/2 cup of pow. sugar and re-knead, add more if needed. When you are sure icing is not too soft, gently stroke a piece of the icing with the palm of your hand. If all cracks and marks disappear and the surface appears shiny it is ready to use. If the cracks do not disappear the icing is too firm. Knead in a few drops of water at a time until proper consisitancy is achieved.

Hint: To color the entire batch of icing mix in the color with the shortening and syrup before adding the powdered sugar.

Hope this helps!

Kathy

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 11:04pm
post #16 of 16

I personally don't freeze my cakes. I bake one day, decorate the next. You can take your cakes out of the freezer and ice it today without refreezing to decorate tomorrow. The buttercream will hold in the moisture of the cake. princess.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%