Questions About Permaice

Decorating By OneWoman Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 1:51pm by cathie_shinnick

OneWoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneWoman Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone. I have been practicing making and decorating faux desserts (cupcakes, cookies, and one cake so far) using lightweight spackle and in some cases caulk for piping applications. However, what worries me is just how toxic these materials can be if used frequently over a long period of time. I'm looking at starting my own faux dessert business, so I would be using these materials daily. Those "known to cause cancer in the state of California" warnings on the backs of the containers are just about all I think about when I'm working with them!

I'm looking into Permaice to use instead. I know it is much more expensive but I really don't want to have to worry longterm side effects. I have a couple of questions:

Does anyone know if Permaice is nontoxic and if you can use the same tools (decorating tips, spatulas, etc.) for regular "real" cake jobs? Or would you need a whole separate set?

Also, I'm reading everywhere that you use non-fading colors like acrylic paint to tint Permaice, but would it be okay to just use regular icing color gels? Would these fade over time? I've always just used food color gel with my practice pieces and it seems to work just fine.

Any and all information you can provide about permaice would be greatly appreciated - including the most inexpensive place to purchase it!

Thanks!

Also, for those of you who are interested in seeing how my spackled and caulked practice cupcakes and one cake turned out, I have my photos on flickr here and here . My hope is to produce similar results with permaice if possible.

5 replies
dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 6

Your cupcakes are so cute. WHat do you use for the actual cupcake? Is that styrofoam? I have not seen styrofoam in chocolate color before. I wish I had an answer for you in regards to permaice. I would look online for permaice and email the company your question. They can tell you what it is made of.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 6

The only thing I can help w/is the coloring.....yes, you do have to use acrylic paints and no they do not fade. No you cannot use paste/gels.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 6

This should answer some of your questions:

http://www.bakingshop.com/cakes/permaice.htm

OneWoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneWoman Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:20am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the info, everyone!

The cupcake bases are made from canned spray foam insulation that has been painted a nice chocolate coloricon_smile.gif

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 6

Wow! Cool idea!!! They look great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%