I Need To Make A "busy" Cake Look Elegant And Fun

Decorating By sweetlayers Updated 4 Nov 2008 , 7:42pm by sweetlayers

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 8

Hi guys--

I have a 9" round cake to be delivered on Saturday however, I have ALOT of things to incorporate. Can you help me?

The overall theme is a golf course and needs the following elements to also be included.

Carolina Hurricanes
Cigars
Grill
Beer with beer mugs
Jimmy Buffet icons.
And Happy Birthday xxxxxx!

I don't have a lot or room to make this happen, can you help me?

Thanks

7 replies
mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 8

hopefully you're charging an arm and leg for this, because i don't see any way to incorporate all those things without molding fondant or gumpaste which equals money!!

the only thing i could see would be to make the cake board a big bigger and pipe icing on it with a few sand holes. the cake itself could be a tiki type hut (not necessarily straw and stuff, but just that type of outdoor bar feeling) on the edge of the "course"...kind of like a watering hole for the golfers.

a sign over the bar saying it will be closed during hurricanes. or a sign advertising the mixed drink flavor of the month "carolina hurricanes"

a box of cigars on the bartop or an ashtray with a cigar resting in it.

a couple of mugs of beer on the bartop

a parrot in a cage or perching on the edge of the roof.

a grill somewhere off to the side, lid flipped open and a couple of burgers thrown on it.

personally, i think it's way too much going on, on that small of a cake, UNLESS you're getting enough money to make all this worth your time.

good luck!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 8

Incorporate the hurricanes as a tee shirt flying from a flagpole somewhere - on the golf course?
.......an ashtray with a cigar resting in it.......yah, very, very tiny!

Hope you enjoy macro-mini work!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 8

I would make the top of the cake look like a green surrounded by some of the rough.

I would make partial beer mugs--like a third or a half of a beer mug with the handle that could stick out from the side of the cake and have a logo on each beer mug that has the hurricane on one and the cigars on the next and all that stuff--just an easy peasy little logo-ish on each mug with the handles sticking out a bit all round the sides.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 8

Can you make little plaques (chocolate transfers or something) and stick em all around the outside edge? Maybe just the ones that you can't attractively incorporate into the top of the cake?

sweetlayers Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 8

These ideas are great. However, since the price is low, I think I will end up making the plaques as suggested by KoryAK. With maybe a 3d gumpaste cigar. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that a pig must also be on the cake because the client loves "pig pickin'" icon_smile.gif

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 8

ok then, a parrot smoking a cigar, wearing a hurricanes jersey, golfing with a pig at the 19th hole where there is a bbq and a cooler of beer and a banner with Happy B-day.....
LOL!
Good luck with this one!

sweetlayers Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:42pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

ok then, a parrot smoking a cigar, wearing a hurricanes jersey, golfing with a pig at the 19th hole where there is a bbq and a cooler of beer and a banner with Happy B-day.....
LOL!
Good luck with this one!

Oh my! I will definitely need some help with that one! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%