Need Pheffernouse Recipe

Baking By slwhittlinger Updated 4 Nov 2008 , 3:12am by Zamode

slwhittlinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slwhittlinger Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 7

Cookie is pronounced feffer-noose. My grandfather has eaten these since he was a kid and he is now 84. The only problem is that they used to only come out at Christmas time around here, now you can't find them if you tried. They are a black licorice tasting cookie ball rolled in powder sugar ( I think). I personally don't like anise in any form so I have no idea on what I can do to even accomplish a mock recipe. I have done an extensive search on the net and still come up empty handed.
Please, if you can help me it will make his day and bring back memories of his mom and Christmas' past.
Thankyou in advance,
slwhittlinger

6 replies
banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 7

Never heard of it but would it be close to a dark gingerbread with molasses or treacle in it and lots of spice!

I just did google Germany and lots of recipes came up for it spelled Pfeffernusse.

Get someone to translate the recipes or do what I do and use the online dictionary icon_smile.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 7

I USED to have a recipe from a Ladies Circle Magazine from about 25 years ago! I'll see if I can find it for you. I actually made it from that recipe. It also had black pepper in it. I'll check and pm if I find it!

Beth in KY

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 7

My aunt was German and had two different recipes. The most authentic has the anise in it, but I'm like you and prefer the ones without. JanH has posted good recipes in her above... there are two in the cdkitchens site that are almost identicle to my aunt's versions. I think you would do fine with any of them.

slwhittlinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slwhittlinger Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 7

Y'all found more than I did on a search. I guess if I had spelled it right I may have gotten futher. LOL. Oh well, you live and you learn. I will try these and make grandpa my guinnea pig, then he can pick the one closet to those he remembers.
Thankyou for all the help,
Sally

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:12am
post #7 of 7

Use a recipe that has molasses in it and not dark corn syrup, egads! If you can find anise oil, get that, otherwise anise extract is fine. Lots of spices, too. A small tip regarding the sugar, wait until they are cooled but not completely cooled and just roll them in sifted confectioner's sugar. If they are too warm, it will melt the sugar and if they are too cool, the sugar won't stick well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%