Thick Cake Boards

Decorating By dezzib27 Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 1:26am by lecrn

dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 12

I am looking for the thick cake boards covered in the silver paper that Wilton sells, but I am trying to see if there is anywhere on line that I can order them. Does anybody have any ideas? I am trying to get them for cheaper!

Thanks!

11 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 12

Those are called cake drums. Just google "cake drums" or "cake drum" and you'll get a bunch of hits.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 12

The lady who works at the cake supply store that I buy from, told me not to waste my money on drums .... that they were just 3 cardboards wrapped together and it was cheaper for me to buy 3 cardboards and wrap them myself. So that's what I do.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

The lady who works at the cake supply store that I buy from, told me not to waste my money on drums .... that they were just 3 cardboards wrapped together and it was cheaper for me to buy 3 cardboards and wrap them myself. So that's what I do.

Now THAT is a great supply store! Someone giving me that kind of advice would make me want to shop there more.

But...it's nice to have some on hand, all ready to go when you're in a hurry.

Pat

indydebi Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyT

Quote:

Now THAT is a great supply store! Someone giving me that kind of advice would make me want to shop there more.

But...it's nice to have some on hand, all ready to go when you're in a hurry.

Pat

Shoot, I never get out of there for under $150 .... normal is $200 or more. So they ain't losin' anything by telling me to buy my own cardboards!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif One time, I just picked up a few things and it came to around $50. The lady at the register and I both looked at the register and said, "That can't be right!" icon_lol.gif

dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 12

Well that makes sense, they are very cheap. THANKS!!!

johnniekake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnniekake Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:09am
post #7 of 12

www.lucks.com they sell them in bulk

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:26am
post #8 of 12

FIRST: Wilton SUCKS. Yes, I know we all gotta get there stuff for some things...or only have access to them, but when I started discoving other options, i've never gone back!

my experiance with Luck's is you have to be a business with a tax ID.....

Cake drums are exactly what indydebi said. So it is probably cheaper to do it that way...

Here is a link for global sugar arts drums... http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=439 but their 14in board is almost 2 more bux than my cake shop!

On a side note, my cake shop asked me if I wanted to move in!

indydebi Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:30am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgirl899

On a side note, my cake shop asked me if I wanted to move in!

And you said, "I might as well .... I've pretty much paid for the building, right?" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:33am
post #10 of 12

Wilton cake drums are a total waste of money but But BUT........ buying them from Country Kitchen is a much different ball game.
Making them yourself just won't give you the really pretty finish on the wrapping w/foil.....been there, tried that, didn't workicon_sad.gif I'd rather spend a few $$ more than waste my time trying over & over to get the foil wrap nice & smooth like the purchased ones are!
I love their silver wrapped ones but the gold........yuck! It's more copper colored than gold icon_sad.gif

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 2:34am
post #11 of 12
Quote:

And you said, "I might as well .... I've pretty much paid for the building, right?" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lol. well I am not in business.... but, they manage to get me all the time. They have a rule you have to spend $10 in order to use a debit/credit card(which i totally understand)... and I never carry cash! So my trip for 1 icing color (1.99) turns into 10... but nothing i NEED is only 8 bux, so Its always like 20-30.. lol.

Did I mention I pass my bank everytime I go? I think I do it subliminally (sp?), so I can get more things. Though if I get $20 from the bank I'll just buy some uneccesary thing elsewhere..

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:26am
post #12 of 12

If anyone is interested, I just saw in the Sunday paper that AC Moore has their foam board on sale for 99 cents a sheet. It usually about $2.50 per sheet or more. I plan on going tomorrow & stocking up.
I use a hot knife to cut my cake boards, & I usually get them pretty smooth. I usually stack two boards together unless it's a real heavy cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%