How Much Gumpaste?

Decorating By aswartzw Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 4:45pm by aswartzw

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 10

If I need to make around 1000 gumpaste flowers, what is a reasonable estimate on the amount of gumpaste I will need? Also, does anyone have a preferred place to order gumpaste?

Thanks!

9 replies
marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 10

Oh..I so don't envy you icon_eek.gif
I suppose it depends on which kind of flower you are making and the size of each one. Would it maybe more cost effective making your own gumpaste - I know many folk on here make it.

aswartzw Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 10

Well, here are the flowers: stephanotis, sweet peas, orchids, tulips, and roses. All made using the Wilton gumpaste kit. I'm making these over a period of weeks so it might be better to make it.

But, if I make it, I need a fool-proof recipe. Is the Nicholas Lodge one, really fool-proof? Because when I did the Wilton one, we did not get along. icon_mad.gif

M_Mischief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
M_Mischief Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 10

I use this recipe

http://www.duskyroseveiners.co.uk/page_396959.html

This lady is lovely and is so helpful, she also sell veiners and has step-by-steps on her site.

Is it fool proof?? I'd say yes, I manage to make it and it works really well, so it must be thumbs_up.gif

marknelliesmum Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 10

Sorry I haven't tried the Nicholas Lodge recipe but that's what tonedna uses and her work is......well they haven't really invented a word to describe edna's work have they but you know what I mean. I have to admit I made edna's calla lillies last week and i cheated by buying flower paste ( that's what it's called over here - not sure what your equivalent would be) but it was much easier than i had ever imagined. Any way i'll pm you another recipe i got from a fellow cc'er I can't post as they told me not to as it wasn't their recipe.

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:09pm
post #6 of 10

M_Mischief, Love the site you gave! Thanks for sharing

maria892 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maria892 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 10

Why don't you just make one flower up, weigh it, then multiply it by 1000 to get a total weight required. Add a fudge factor to allow for some wastage. easy.

marknelliesmum Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 3:34pm
post #8 of 10

Maria892

Quote:
Quote:

fudge factor

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif isn't that my cake signature? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 4:00pm
post #9 of 10

A thousand gumpaste flowers - that would be my first cake to break the $10,000 price mark.

Seriously.

aswartzw Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 10

I love that price tag, cakepro! However, since I'm making them for my own wedding cake I just get stuck at making them for free. icon_confused.gif Seriously, I question my own judgement at times. At least I have months and months and months.... LOL

Thanks for the help and recipes everyone. I might consider making my own now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%