Black Fondant

Decorating By ape74 Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 1:46pm by jobueno

ape74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape74 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:36am
post #1 of 3

I have a question? When it comes to coloring fondant black, does the same rule apply as with buttercream? You know, the make it chocolate and then color it black rule or can I just color the white fondant black? I also have another question about those fabulous Halloween fondant ghost cakes that I've seen. I've been inspired to try one this year, but I'm also curious on the eyes and nose. I've seen some people adding a tiny piece of black fondant as the eyes and nose, but what about those that seem to be painted on? Do you get black color with a brush and just paint them? I know, silly question but I want to add at least two ghosts on my cake but I don't know what is used to paint the eyes. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

2 replies
stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 3

I buy premade black fondant, it's alot easier but since you don't have it, I think it would be easiest to start with chocolate and go from there. I've only been able to make dark gray when I start with white. As for the eyes, I have no idea! could it be that black gel color that comes in a tube at the grocery store?

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 3

Ape74:
I agree, you need to start with chocolate fondant to get black. If you start with white you will need lots and lots of black food coloring and your fondant might not taste good.

If there are two colors I will not make if I can help it black and red.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%