Q's For The Monster Truck Makers

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 29 Oct 2008 , 1:05am by barbaranoel

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:51am
post #1 of 6

I've been asked to make a Monster Truck cake for the same woman I made the life size skate board cake for. No presure right? She wants it to be a 3D cake to look like the Graveyard Truck.

My question is for those of you that have done these before, what size cakes did you start with before you craved it and about how many servings did you have left? She needs about 30 servings, but if I tell her it has to be more to make the shape work she will be fine with that, I'm sure.

I have to get back to her with a price, but I'm kinda stumped on how much cake I will have to bake and how much will be left, since I have never done a truck shaped cake before.

Also what is the best why you have found to do the wheels. This cake will have to travel about a hour, so it has to be something pretty strudy that can hold up to the trip.

Can anyone help me out there? Please? icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 6

I used the base of an old remote control truck. I think it would have been more cool if it had been working!! I do wish that I would have more time to make it smoother but they loved it anyways.

I made a base from foam core and I think I used a double layer 9x 12 or something like that.

There is a pic in my photos.

Barb

TexasSugar Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 6

Anyone?

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 12:25am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I've been asked to make a Monster Truck cake for the same woman I made the life size skate board cake for. No presure right? She wants it to be a 3D cake to look like the Graveyard Truck.

My question is for those of you that have done these before, what size cakes did you start with before you craved it and about how many servings did you have left? She needs about 30 servings, but if I tell her it has to be more to make the shape work she will be fine with that, I'm sure.

I have to get back to her with a price, but I'm kinda stumped on how much cake I will have to bake and how much will be left, since I have never done a truck shaped cake before.

Also what is the best why you have found to do the wheels. This cake will have to travel about a hour, so it has to be something pretty strudy that can hold up to the trip.

Can anyone help me out there? Please? icon_biggrin.gif

I believe there is a cake pan out there you can use for monster trucks. I saw one on E-bay earlier today.

Hang on let me see if I can find it...

Here is the URL for the Ebay pan.
http://cgi.ebay.com/CRUISER-CAKE-PAN-WILTON-CAR-HOT-ROD-MONSTER-TRUCK-FAST_W0QQitemZ360099987653QQihZ023QQcategoryZ20627QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

TexasSugar Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 4:46am
post #5 of 6

Barbaranoel, I'll have to see if my nephew has any of those laying around. icon_smile.gif If not I'm fully prepared to tell her I can to the truck parts but the under neath is just gonna have to be imagined.

I was thinking 13x9s to start or a 11x15 cut in half, so I guess I was right on there. Thanks!

Cake_Princess, thank you for looking that up. It's a little smaller than I need. If I didn't have as many cake pans as I do, or thought I'd use it again it would be a nice pan to have.

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:05am
post #6 of 6

Check goodwill for the trucks to. Kids were ok with sacrificing to the Cake Gods for the greater good of a cool cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%