Is My Buttercream Messed Up Now?!?! Help =/

Decorating By IloveEmmaCakes Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 12:36am by sayhellojana

IloveEmmaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IloveEmmaCakes Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 5

So I made Italian Meringue Buttercream and this was my first time making this kind..

When you're supposed to add the butter the meringue is supposed to be completely cooled..

So i felt my bowl and the meringue and it felt completely cooled!..
But After I added all my butter it got really chunky and alot thinner than it was before I added it.. icon_confused.gif

Does anybody know if I can do something to this so that I'm still able to use it?!?! icon_cry.gif

Please help!

Thanks in advance..

4 replies
banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 5

I would keep whipping it for a good while. There is a point when after you add the butter it looks ruined but keep mixing and it should come together.

If not then I would probably bin it and start over.

marie1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marie1152 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 5

sometimes it does look like its ruined, but keep whipping it and if it does not come together and look right, put it over a double boiler or your bowl over a pan of simmering water and re-warm it, then return to the mixer and whip again til cool and it shoul be fine. marie 1152

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 5

It should be fine if you keep whipping. If it doesn't come together toss it in the fridge for a few minutes.

This is why I like to add the meringue to the butter. Egg whites don't like fat.

Mike

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:36am
post #5 of 5

It happens sometimes. It depends on how much water you cook out when you heat the sugar. You can add powdered sugar a table spoon at a time (you shouldn't need much) until it thickens. Really, just a little bit will pull it together. I heat my sugar very slowly, I start it before I crack eggs or anything, and just when it hits 235, poor it in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%