Making Ganache

Decorating By carpet Updated 24 Oct 2008 , 4:01am by -Tubbs

carpet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carpet Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:46am
post #1 of 5

What kind of chocolate do i use to make ganache ? and do i pour it over the cake? TIB

4 replies
Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 12:59am
post #2 of 5

You can use anything from candy melts to gourmet chocolate. The better the chocolate, the better the ganache. I have used a large bar of Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate and then made up the difference with dark chocolate melts.

Ganache can be poured on your cake or used as a filling. Here's some info from another post that you may find handy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

here is some info I think you would would be interested in ...

A general guideline for making ganache. To make a glaze or coating: 1 part cream to 3 parts chocolate. To make a truffle filling: 1 part cream to 2 parts chocolate. To make a light filling: 1 part cream to 1 part chocolate. Ganache is widely used in the pastry kitchen. When barely warm and liquid ganache can be poured over a cake or torte for a smooth and shiny glaze. If cooled to room temperature it becomes a spreadable filling and frosting. Refrigerated ganache can be whipped for fillings and frostings or formed into truffles.

Good luck!

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 1:07am
post #3 of 5

I am sorry have no idea how to put a link in but if you go to the candy forum there is a ganache post there and it explains about cream ratios and different types of chocolate, might help you icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 3:04am
post #4 of 5

Everything you ever wanted to know about ganache:
(Overview, master and other recipes including white chocolate. Also info on glazing, smoothing, stacking and more.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-497433-.html

Chocolate 101:

http://tinyurl.com/ytby97

HTH

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 24 Oct 2008 , 4:01am
post #5 of 5

Jan and everyone: thanks for the information. I had ganache trouble myself this week... Will keep for future reference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%