Impatient With Ganache.. Advice For Next Time?

Decorating By -Tubbs Updated 23 Oct 2008 , 11:42pm by jobueno

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 4

It's DH's last day at his job today. He vaguely mentioned a few days ago that it would be nice to take some cupcakes in, but we both forgot about it until yesterday, 7.30pm. He was on his way home from a trip and I asked him if he still wanted them (was very tired and hoping he'd say not to bother). Of course he says, "Oh yes, that'd be great!"

Quickly whip up some chocolate cupcakes, which, thankfully, behave. Don't have enough icing sugar for BC and cannot be bothered to go out for some, but have a bag of choc chips and cream, so think "whipped ganache!".

Was too impatient to wait for it to set properly before I started whipping it. In truth it was only just cool and very runny. It split really badly, actually looked curdled. I put it in the freezer for another half an hour, then whipped it up again, adding all the icing sugar I had. It did come together and I was able to use it on the cupcakes, but it wasn't that great.

Apart from leaving it in the fridge overnight to properly set up, is there anything else I could have done to save this?

Thanks for any advice.

3 replies
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 4

Hi Tubbscookies
What I do when making ganache is I place my bowl in an ice water bath and stir until it cools completely (about 20 mins or so). Haven't had a problem with it/ Once it's completely cooled then whip it!
Hope this helps.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 4

Yes, that does help. Thanks for responding!

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 4

glad I could be of help icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%