A 50's Themed Wedding Cake. Ideas?

Decorating By melysa Updated 4 Jan 2009 , 5:45am by cakesdelight

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 7

i'm meeting with a couple next week to discuss their wedding cake. the wedding will be a 50's theme. goodness, i cant quite wrap my mind around this one.... i'd like to be able to present them with some simple, classy & elegant ideas (i'm positive they will thank me). i hope they dont ask for black and white checkerboard, pinks and blues, poodles, records....aaaaaaaah!

6 replies
alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 1:35am
post #2 of 7

he he he... I would totally love the cake you just described that you hope they DON'T ask for. lol

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 2:32am
post #3 of 7

See if you can get your hands on one of Wilton's '50s wedding cake booksicon_smile.gif Cakes back then were very, very over decorated with large tips! Stacked, w/large borders and lots of fake flowers.
Try you local library. Many of them have those old books.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 7

Are they expecting you to present them with some designs at your first meeting before actually talking to them about what they like, don't like, specific 50's theme, etc? I would hate to waste my time creating some designs only to find out they don't want simple, classy, or elegant. Why not call the bride and groom and ask some more questions like what they were thinking - is it an Elvis theme, poodle skirt theme, black and white theme, drive-in theme, etc. I would need more details from them or at least find out their interests and why they chose a 50's theme....might help you create the PEFERCT cake that represents THEM and not just a cake that is the usual wedding cake.

After your meeting, can you tell them that you will present them with xx number of designs and email them to them?

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 5:02am
post #5 of 7

well....you guessed it, thats what they asked for!

LOL, here is the brides cake, which surpisingly, i loved. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1299053

the grooms cake was, yup...a jukebox on a black and white checkerboard floor. havent yet posted the picture though.

thanks for the ideas.

Wildrose6633 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildrose6633 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 5:23am
post #6 of 7

The Brides cake it cute Not too much fru fru if you know what I mean

cakesdelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdelight Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 5:45am
post #7 of 7

Beautifully Done! I like it, its simple but very elegant. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%