Nobody Ever Asks

Decorating By Mike1394 Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 4:07pm by Rosie2

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:35pm
post #91 of 119

Awesome thread - can't believe I missed it the first time around!

I have blocked out all my mothers "experimental 80's vegetarian cooking", but whole wheat spaghetti with cooked vegetables has to be the most nasty thing I ever tasted. I can still feel the grainy pasta in my mouth. And she's such a good cook otherwise.

I love head cheese and cracklings though. Head cheese on dark rye bread with mustard and pickled beets is the ultimate Christmas food!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:19pm
post #92 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

This thread is almost 2 years old, but it's a keeper. Would anyone like to contribute and keep it going?

Actually, I think along the lines of the original post in this thread every time I see a post with the title like "Need a good cake recipe"...I always think...who needs a bad one? icon_smile.gif

Can't think of any truly horrible recipes from my childhood, my mother was a pretty good cook but there are things that I liked then that I can't believe now that I would eat icon_surprised.gif. I HATED sausages, though, they made me gag and I swore that as an adult I would never cook or eat a sausage again and I haven't. I will buy them for DH but I won't cook them and I won't wash the pan in which they were cooked. I've since become a vegetarian...I think the sausages were my first step on that journey icon_wink.gif.

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:02am
post #93 of 119

This thread is AWESOME! Man, people are nasty icon_biggrin.gif

When I was about 8 weeks along in my first pregnancy, constantly nauseous, the slightest thing could set me off....One day I go to visit my wonderful grandma and what's for lunch?? BOILED Lamb in a huge pot of BOILED Cabbage. It was almost the end of me.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:46pm
post #94 of 119

As a kid I was a picky eater; even though my mom could cook her a$$ off. Some of the things I would not eat was peas, beans, grits, fish out of the oven, chitterlings, the yolks from eggs, creamed corn, okra, spice ham, milk, anything butter tasting and all kids cereal ( except Frosted Flakes with sugar and bananas in it; love it) I still don't eat them to this day.

What was really strange about me when I was younger is that I didn't really eat spagetti unless it had a whole lot of meatballs, meat sauce and italian bread (I'm still this way, I only make spagetti about 2 times a year) I didn't like anything white and mushy in my mouth except vanilla ice cream; now, I love sour cream on my tacos (I'll even put some on a burger every now and then) and I love blue cheese dressing on my hot wings and friend chicken. I won't eat cottage cheese, cream cheese, or yogart. Even crazier is that the one and only meal I have or will ever eat from a potatoe is french fries; I won't have anything to do with any other potatoe dish.

A couple of years ago, I was getting to know this older gentleman and he invited me to his home. When I got there he asked if I wanted something to eat; I declined but he kept pushing the issue (he was the type that thought because he was older I should listen or comply with whatever he said because he knew better. Yeah right) He wanted me to see what he cooked, I looked in the pot it was spagetti, boiled chicken backs, string beans, turkey sausage and rice. If I would have thrown up in the pot, he would have never known the difference.

What the hell is up with SCRAPPLE. ugh!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:49pm
post #95 of 119

What is Scrapple? I'm Italian, and that is not in our repertoire.

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:57pm
post #96 of 119

We had 2 crappy meals growing up (besides tuna noodle casserole) that didn't have names:

Meal 1: creamed tuna (milk and tunafish heated in a pot) over fried eggs (over easy) on toast. thumbsdown.gif

Meal 2: boiled potatoes (cubed), fried onions, scrambled eggs, and wide egg noodles all mixed together! My sister still makes this!! thumbsdown.gif

YIKES!

Elcee Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:00pm
post #97 of 119
Quote:

What is Scrapple? I'm Italian, and that is not in our repertoire.

Scrapple is made from pork scrap. I would say it's a little like Spam but you buy it at the meat counter fresh. It comes in a small bucket. My DH loves it...I can't even look at it. I believe it is a French-Canadian thing and as a result also popular in New England where there is a large population of people of French-Canadian descent. Luckily, since moving to Colorado I don't have to have it in my house, he hasn't been able to find it here icon_cool.gif.

cutthecake Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:04pm
post #98 of 119

Elcee,
MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Nothing like pork scrap to brighten my day.
Kind of like tripe. Doesn't everyone want to eat cow stomach? I ran screaming from the house every time my mother made it.

Elcee Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:09pm
post #99 of 119
Quote:

Elcee,
MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Nothing like pork scrap to brighten my day.
Kind of like tripe. Doesn't everyone want to eat cow stomach? I ran screaming from the house every time my mother made it.

I keep thinking of things...you reminded me that my grandmother (I'm Greek) made margeritsa soup...out of lamb intestines!!!!

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:53pm
post #100 of 119

My mom made hamburgers cooked in mushroom soup too. But she would pour in a can of La Choy bean sprouts. I remember loving that dish though. My grandmother used to make polk all the time. I hated it. It made my mouth go numb and itch. That cant be a good thing.

My MIL cant cook. Unless it comes out of a can, box or bag from the frozen food section at the grocery store she cant make it. She used to make this veggie soup that was cans of tomato sauce and mixed veggies simmered on the stovetop all day. No spices or anything. It was so gross.

I remember a story my 6th grade teacher told us one day in class. She had invited an old woman who lived through the depression to have dinner with her family. I dont remember why. My teacher made fried chicken for her. When my teachers daughter finished a piece of chicken and grabbed for another the old lady yelled at her. She told the girl she hadnt finished her chicken yet then proceeded to show her how to crack open the bone and eat the marrow out of it. I guess during that time if you were lucky enough to have chicken to eat you didnt waste any of it.

yummy Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:16pm
post #101 of 119

The first time I ever heard of scrapple I was a kid. I was at my friends house and she was fixing herself something to eat and it was scrapple. I was disgusted; it looked like it had hair in it.

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:32pm
post #102 of 119

My mom is an awesome cook but I hate when she makes roast. Pork or beef both are cooked until they are stringy and you have to have mashed potatoes to eat with them so they get some moisture. Huge bite of potato with a little bit of meat and it wasnt too bad. I remember taking big bites and having to take a drink before I could swallow the meat. She still overcooks roast and Ive started taking over for when we are going to have roast and making sure it doesnt over cook.

cutthecake Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:33pm
post #103 of 119

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm, hairy pork scraps. Where can I get some of that?

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 9:12pm
post #104 of 119

my grandparents were from Croatia and lived on a small farm in PA. he would got to auction and pick up animals for us to play with weekly and for dinners as well. So on occasion an animal would disappear and would be dinner (lambs and pigs). So one week charlie the lamb would follow you around the farm and the next week he would be spinning on the pit (we did not know it at the time), and yes every single part was either eat or used for something. My mom swears it was never the horses though, they always went back to the auction. I can only hope-ewww

Sherena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherena Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 9:30pm
post #105 of 119

I think my worse was one my mom - memory erternal- named "This and That".
It consisted of hot link filling, pan sauteed with cubed potatoes and cheese in oil with onions. Sometimes she threw in eggs, sometime franks instead of hot links...you get the point.

It was little bit of this, and little bit of that. I love her but my Lord was that awful!

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 9:39pm
post #106 of 119

My dad used to love brains & scrambled eggs. He'd cook beef or pig brains and then add eggs and scramble it all up. The smell made me sick. Just thinking about it 50 years later still does...

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 10:10pm
post #107 of 119

OMG, I'm never gonna forget my mother's nutritious fish head soup!!--carrots, potatoes and fish eyes floating on the bowl aggghhhh icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Elcee Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 10:13pm
post #108 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

OMG, I'm never gonna forget my mother's nutritious fish head soup!!--carrots, potatoes and fish eyes floating on the bow aggghhhh icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

OK...aging myself here but does anyone remember that song from SNL waaaaay back...fish heads, fish heads, yummy yummy fish heads...

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 10:19pm
post #109 of 119

Fish heads, fish heads, eat them up - YUM!

Rosie2 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 10:24pm
post #110 of 119

LOL---fish heads aggghhhh

She also made chicken feet soup any time we had a cold --- icon_confused.gif

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 10:40pm
post #111 of 119

Rosie - Bet you made sure you never got sick!

Rosie2 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 10:48pm
post #112 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsapph

Rosie - Bet you made sure you never got sick!

NEVER!!! LOL icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

yummy Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:11pm
post #113 of 119

Cutthecake, you are so crazy; I'm ROFLMAO!

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:59am
post #114 of 119

My mom wasn't a terrible cook, but not that great, either. Very little variety, and she does not know that there is anyway to flavor & season food other than salt. Her food was very boring, plain, and either very bland or very salty. I can't remember anything particularly disgusting, but I do remember her vegetable-beef soup and stuffed peppers being so tasteless I couldn't stand them.

I have to stick up for stuffed peppers, though. They can be really good! I would not touch my mom's; they were stuffed with a bland mixture of ground beef, rice, and home canned "tomato sauce" that was very watery, no sesoning. They had no flavor at all. Once I was grown and made some on my own after researching recipes, I found I really like them. Mine are stuffed with a mixture of browned ground beef, caramalized onions, tomato puree, rice, cheese, and seasoned with salt, pepper, a little chili powder, and worchestshire sauce. My kids love them, too.

I have one dish my daughter thinks is the most disgusting, inedible thing ever - crab quiche. She hates any kind of seafood, and does not like eggs or cheese all that much, either. My husband, son, and I all like it, though.

bohemiagetsajob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohemiagetsajob Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:56am
post #115 of 119

My grandmother was a vomitrocious (Vomit+atrocious) cook. I can remember SPAMburgers, runny-still-raw scrambled eggs and "Trash Night Casserole"- every left over from the last week thrown together and baked until unrecognizable. My kids better love me for never serving them anything like that.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:07pm
post #116 of 119

My mom used to fix stewed rhubarb. Looked like a big bowl of snot. to this day, I can't even think about rhubarb.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:16pm
post #117 of 119

Rhubarb, ugh.
Can't stand the stuff since I was a kid and I spent the night with a friend. Her mother made stewed rhubarb, and you could still see the green bits from the leaves.
That part's poisonous, for heaven's sake!

Never have trusted another rhubarb.

Aside from the fact it looks like snot. LOL

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 4:02pm
post #118 of 119

On the other hand, I have a dish I like to make that my sons won't eat.

Backstory: When they were young they loved the movie "Ernest Goes to Camp". In the movie the kooky chefs are looking for the ultimate ingredient needed for their latest concoction "Eggs Erroneous". The secret ingredient was yellow modeling clay.

For a big family dinner one time I made the southern classic-corn pudding. My boys took one look at it and pronounced, "Eggs Erroneous!"

In my family we still can corn pudding by that name.

Rosie2 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:07pm
post #119 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemiagetsajob

My grandmother was a vomitrocious (Vomit+atrocious) cook.

Vomitrocious, I like that word!!! So, I guess my mother made 'vomitrocious fish soups' aggghhhh icon_cry.gif

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%