Wire For "flying" Fondant Things??

Decorating By Kay_NL Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 7:44pm by PinkZiab

Kay_NL Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 13

What type of wire do I use to make fondant figures stick up in the air? I'm making a Halloween cake and want some flying ghosts and bats, so the wire has to support that weight!

Thanks!!

12 replies
mw902 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 13

I always use 12 gauge floral wire, put a coffee stirrer in the cake and put the wire into that, I never knew if the wire itself was ok to put directly in the cake so I felt safer with the stirrer in the cake and not the wire. Have fun with your cake!!

sweeteecakes Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 13

I want to do the same thing for my daughters birthday. Check this out:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/help-with-putting-fondant-on-ftopicp-6126028.html#6126028

alvarezmom Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks for the post sweeteecakes

kel58 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 13

I have also use a 12 gauge floral wire. I did it withough the stir stick and learned from that mistake. The wire will cut through the cake on it own. the stir stick stops it. I found a post on this AFTER i had already made it and had issues. Lesson learned.
Good luck

Kay_NL Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 13

So you insert the stir stick and wire how far? About 2-3 inches??

Katie-Bug Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:31pm
post #7 of 13

Stir stick- I didn't even think about that!! I guess the weight of the objects would cause the wire to puch through!!

Thanks!!! thumbs_up.gif

mommakristin Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 13

Coffee stirs!! Wow I had not thought of that either!!!
I usually wait till the very last minute to stick the flying things into the cake because they always cut through!!

Great advice!!!

Thanks for asking for us!!

Kay_NL Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 13

I think I will mount the wire into the stir stick with either melted chocolate or royal icing. That way when the wire is pulled out, out comes the stick too... The less I have to tell people when the pick up a cake the better, yes I'm a scatterbrain. LOL!

Thanks for the help and great ideas!!

projectqueen Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 13

I was worried about the stirrer stick, too.

Has anyone had it stay in the cake after they pull the wire out? I wouldn't want anyone to find a plastic stirrer in their piece and wonder how it got there icon_surprised.gif

Does it just fit in there tight?

mandifrye Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 7:09pm
post #11 of 13

Yes, the stir stick will stay in the cake if not carefully removed with the wire. I have started always gluing my wires into the stir sticks with candy melts. That way, when the wire is removed, out comes the stirrer!

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

mandifrye Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 7:15pm
post #12 of 13

Yes, the stir stick will stay in the cake if not carefully removed with the wire. I have started always gluing my wires into the stir sticks with candy melts. That way, when the wire is removed, out comes the stirrer!

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

PinkZiab Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 7:44pm
post #13 of 13

I stick my wires directly into the cake--never use straws or stirrers or anything... I've never had any issues with them falling out or cutting through the cake... I do, however, only decorate in fondant, so that probably makes a difference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%