Cake Idea For Kids' Birthday At Domestic Violence Shelter...

Decorating By jen1977 Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 6:46pm by peacenique

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 12

Starting this Wednesday, once a month, I'm donating a birthday cake to the local domestic violence shelter for the kids there. This month is my first month, and I'm lost on decorating this! This month I'm doing a 12x18, and there are 2 birthdays, one boy and one girl. I don't want to do a sculpted this month. Any ideas? I want it to look great since these kids don't get to celebrate their birthdays there.

11 replies
jen1977 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 12

Anyone? Do you think it would be ok to do a jack-o-lantern? I know some people don't do Halloween, and I don't want to offend anyone. Any ideas?

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 10:55am
post #3 of 12

ok so here's my thought to run with your pumpkin idea... Snoopy and the Great Pumpkin! You could do out some pumpkins on a sheetcake like in a field with a big one in the middle? Ok now I want to do this cake! icon_lol.gif What you are doing is great, by the way, they are going to love and appreciate whatever you bring in!

hugs,
Kim

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:22am
post #4 of 12

Pumpkins; hay stacks (ice cream cones); fall leaves all are non Halloween de cos acceptable this time of year.
Personaly I think you should cut that sheet cake in 1/2 and give each kid their own.

jen1977 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 12

I ended up doing the jack o lantern for the cake today. I thought about doing two cakes, but I can't always do each child their own every month. There are 25 women and their children housed there, and there were 8 birthdays last month, so I'd rather not start the each child their own thing. I'll think of something fun to do for next month. I'm super busy this week wit hcakes, birthday party for my son, appts, and school stuff, so I went the easy route. Thanks!

craftycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftycakes Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:44am
post #6 of 12

Honestly I think the kids will love whatever you make them! I would put the kids name on the cake. It's sad to say but some kids don't get birthday cakes with their name on it.

I think it is great what you are doing.

jen1977 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:03am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycakes

Honestly I think the kids will love whatever you make them! I would put the kids name on the cake. It's sad to say but some kids don't get birthday cakes with their name on it.

I think it is great what you are doing.

Thanks! They aren't allowed to give me even the first names of the kids who are celebrating that month, so I can't out their names on the cake. I really wish I could, but understand why they can't give me that info. I also got to delver a HUGE Children's Place bag of gifts to them to hand out that another lady at my church is providing for them monthly.

peacenique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacenique Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 12

What an awesome idea Jen. It's people like you that humble and inspire me.

Hmmmm... there IS a shelter here in my town. I had reason to use it myself in the past. Maybe that would be a decent way to 'give back'.

Blessings to you Jen.
Not ONLY for making the cake -- but for thinking to make each month's unique to that month. (October/the pumpkins)

I have the beginnings of idea on how to get names on them...
In one way or another you could make mini signs that are appropriate to the cake. For example, if you were to design a comic strip bubble type sign on a toothpick... each month make them to suit the cake... ask the ladies that work at the shelter to write in each child's name and stick the "signs" where ~you've~ indicated on the cake. Some version of this idea might work. Maybe if you had elves on the cake, for example, it could be made to look as though each one was holding a sign/name.

peace, Maija

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:22pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacenique

In one way or another you could make mini signs that are appropriate to the cake. For example, if you were to design a comic strip bubble type sign on a toothpick... each month make them to suit the cake... ask the ladies that work at the shelter to write in each child's name and stick the "signs" where ~you've~ indicated on the cake. Some version of this idea might work. Maybe if you had elves on the cake, for example, it could be made to look as though each one was holding a sign/name.

I think this is a WONDERFUL idea!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:23pm
post #10 of 12

What a heartwarming thing to read. It's so nice of you to bring joy to these children's lives through cake.

jen1977 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:15pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacenique

peace, Maija

That's a great idea! I normally don't put anyhting that isn't edible on my cakes, but this is an exception to the rule! I don't know why I didn't think of it! Thanks so much! I'm not sure what I'm going to do for November, but December I'm doing a version of the penguins sliding down the hill that you see here and I've made before. The signs would fit in perfectly wit hthat theme! Thanks!

peacenique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacenique Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 6:46pm
post #12 of 12

Hey... what about making that sign with the royal icing flow/fill (whatever that method's called!). Make a few extras in case they break while trying to write the names on them with an edible marker.
That would stay within your "all edible" realm.

Either way I'm sure it'll be nice.

I didn't notice whether you were in Canada or the States, jen. If you'll be celebrating Thanksgiving in November, you could possibly use that for a cake theme. Maybe turkeys or pilgrims or something along that line. I bet goofy turkeys would be fun. Ohhh... and there's that wonderful (looking) candy corn out this time of year!
My gosh... now my creative juices are flowing!
You could also cover it with a pile of candy clay or chocolate leaves and a rake or two! Ummmm... scarecrows!

Okay, enough thinking... I've got a cake due tomorrow evening! Back to the kitchen! *crack of the whip*

peace

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%