Homemade Pan Release

Decorating By mcdonald Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 6:44pm by Kitagrl

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 12

I am sure this topic has been covered before but I thought I would post a homemade recipe I use for pan release. It is the most wonderful thing I have ever used. No more Pam or Crisco or store bought pan release. I use this for cakes, breads, cookies...everything. I found it on Recipezaar and won't ever use anything else. So easy and have everything at home to make.

1/2 cup all vegetable shortening
1/2 cup vegetable oil (or canola)
1/2 cup flour

Use electric mixer and beat until mixture has increased in volume slightly and resembles marshmallow cream. Place in container w/lid and store in cabinet or countertop. Can be kept in frig. Mix before using if separated.

for chocolate recipes: replace 1/2 cocoa for flour or use 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup cocoa.

try it!! I promise you won't go back!!! Enjoy!!

11 replies
grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 12

Oh.... thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

My Wilton instructor actually gave us the very same recipe two weeks ago and I was just wondering last night what I did with it because I will need it quite a bit coming up here soon. Thank you again!!!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 12

This is a very popular cake release, and I agree, it works GREAT. The first time I tried it, I was able to bake a cake and have it release w/o a parchment circle in the pan, practically unheard of for me! Thanks for reposting it, you never know which new people haven't come across the recipe yet.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks so much for the recipe. Spray releases are so expensive and sometimes bubble into the cake. I'm really excited to try this!

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 12

I too have found this recipe to work perfectly. I use to use parchment paper to line my pans, NO MORE.

It's a must for us bakers....

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 3:42am
post #6 of 12

I have even better news for you! There is no need of a mixer. I was also taught the equal parts flour, oil and shortening cake release in my Wilton class years ago. I just stir it with a spoon and keep the tupperware container in bottom drawer of my fridge. Works like a charm every time!

SouthernSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SouthernSugar Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 3:58am
post #7 of 12

This is all I use for cakes, havent had a cake even think about sticking since I started using it. Thanks for reposting, I am sure there are some out there who havent used this yet and it is AWESOME!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:50pm
post #8 of 12

Wanted to chime in here that this is a GREAT recipe! I bought the Wilton stuff in the squeeze bottle and while it worked great, its FULL of preservatives (and looks kinda yellowy gross too) and so I knew I didn't want to buy it again (plus its pricey).

I tried this recipe yesterday and refilled my clean Cake Release squeeze bottle with it and its GREAT! It works super, its nice and white, and the best thing is it has no preservatives, which means my son can eat it (he has a severe sensitivity to artificial preservatives, has chronic urticaria).

I will never go back to Crisco and flour again!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 12

I use the same recipe - thanks for the idea about using cocoa in place of the flour for chocolate cakes. I'll give it a try.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 6:10pm
post #10 of 12

I never heard of this, but over the weekend I was really busy and ran out of cake release from Wilton(faithful user), so I scooped up some Crisco and brushed it generously in pan, forgot to add flour and baked. Well let me tell you it worked better than anything else and it didn't even have flour. Popped out clean no crumbs. But I'll still have to try your stuff. Thanks!

uabcjgrad2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uabcjgrad2006 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 6:17pm
post #11 of 12

Stupid Question Alert:
Is this recipe for a spray or a spread-type consistency? THANKS! Sounds like there are rave reviews!!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 6:44pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by uabcjgrad2006

Stupid Question Alert:
Is this recipe for a spray or a spread-type consistency? THANKS! Sounds like there are rave reviews!!!

More "spread" but it can be squeezed easily out of a squeeze bottle. Semi-liquid I guess.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%