Icing To The Edge And Back

Decorating By butterfly831915 Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 5:46pm by butterfly831915

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 5

icon_cry.gif I recently started to attempt cake decorating. I am having issues with keeping enough icing on the edge of my cakes like where the top meets the sides and sides to side. I also use only buttercream, can anyone help me on makig it smooth but still look crisp? I get tired of it always seeming a bit wavy or ruff. I have a friend getting married this weekend and she is having me do her cake but it will be without boarders and I'm afraid of the cake showing thru. I also had a question about being a lefty, I seem to have a hard time keeping the decorations like a regular shell boarder looking right. Maybe my icing rec. Can anyone recommend a good Buttercream rec? Thank you all so much for your help.

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 5

Use more icingicon_smile.gif Sounds like maybe you are not applying enough to begin with.
Use an icer tip (sometimes called a quick icer) It's a big wide tip with one side serated the other smooth. That applies just the right amount of icing. After piping it all around the cake use a bench scraper or spatula to smooth it around the cake -- don't scrape icing off, just smooth it.
As for a b'cream recipe......**SugarShack's** is really good! OR Indydebi's ......both are posted in the recipe section.
I also am a lefty. You might be making your shells the wrong way. Work from left to right around a cake (counter clockwise).....a right handed persone does the opposite.

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 5

The ice tip does put a good amount of icing onto the cake. I like to use it myself when putting white icing on chocolate cake (crumbs always seem to mix into it trying to apply it with a spatula - unless you do a crumb coat first). Anyway - back to your issue with smoothness. After I put the icing on the cake and begin to smooth it (using a metal spatula) I run my spatula under hot water to heat the metal up, wipe it with a dry towel and smooth the icing. The heat from the metal REALLY smooths the icing! It works like magic. I then heat the spatula up again (once it's cooled-you'll notice the difference imediately when it's no longer hot/warm) and start the process all over again - heat under water, wipe dry (very important that no water be left on the spatula), and smooth. I hope this helps a little. thumbs_up.gif

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:25am
post #4 of 5

Here ya go:

Don't know why it took me so long to figure this out!!

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you for your comments, I have the icing tip but it still wasn't working but I watched several youtube videos and think I have it figured out. Thanks again and God Bless...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%