Freezing Cakes And Cookies Question Please Help!

Decorating By Molly2 Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 1:53am by kathy164

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:27am
post #1 of 9

I am making several cakes for this weekend I thought Iâd get a head start I have put some of them in the freezer. My question is when should I take the out to frost and decorate. I need one group of cakes decorated and ready to deliver Friday morning so should the cake be pulled out Wed to be ready to decorate on Thursday? And also what about cookies when I should take them out I havenât put them in the freezer yet but was planning to, I made them yesterday (Sunday) and they need to be decorated also? I always hear and read these stories of cake frosting colors bleeding because the cakes were not thawed enough I'm trying to prevent that problem. Thank you for your help!

Molly

8 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 9

you could take your cakes out first thing thursday morning. and in a couple of hours they'll be ready to decorate. cookies, take some time in the decorating so you could start those now so they have time to dry. they will be fine for the weekend.

Molly2 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 9

Thank You for your help I wasn't sure what to do

Molly2

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 9

You could take them out on Wed night so they will be ready to work on later in the day or the next.
It depends on how big they are. For an 8x4 an hour or two but for a 16x4 tier it could take much longer....like overnighticon_smile.gif
As for cookies, they will defrost in less than an hr.
Maybe take out a few at a time; decorate them while others are defrosting.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 9

I would pull the cakes out Wed night & they'll be ready first thing Thurs morning. As for the cookies, go ahead & decorate now. Sugar cookies & RI will be fine. Or if you don't want to decorate now, they'll be fine in an airtight container for a day or two, not necessary to freeze. For the future, if you do freeze, I usually put my cookies in the oven for a couple of min. to freshen them up and then decorate.

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 9

what are you wrapping the cakes in when you freeze? if it is only for a couple of days, do you just use the plastic wrap? or the foil also? and then do you remove it when thawing, or leave it wrapped up? thank you, Kathy

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 9

I have just wrapped them (for just a couple of days) in plastic & plastic & foil & they don't taste any different. For thawing I leave them in the plastic b/c it helps seal in moistness. I even took out a cake I wrapped in plastic, foil, then bagged almost 1 yr ago & let it thaw wrapped & it was still good. (I just wanted to see).

Molly2 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 10:18pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you for all your help

Molly thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 1:53am
post #9 of 9

OK, wonderful. thank you you all for your help. I am sure glad we have this board to come to.
Kathy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%