Discolored Cake Plates

Decorating By samona Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 3:23am by loves2bake

samona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samona Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 8

How do I get my cake plates and pillars back white? They are turning yellow.

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 8

You know there are many remendies around but I have yet to find any of them work well icon_sad.gif
As my DH was fond of saying........that's why they make/sell new ones icon_smile.gif

I have hear of & tried "Iron Out" (or is it rust out?) that you find at Wal-Mart in the plumbing dept (or where the toilet bowl cleaners are). It helped a little.
Yrs ago someone said she covered them in sugar & put them out in the sun where the bees ate the sugar off then they were white (??)
Another said she weighted them down in the swimming pool for a couple of days.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 8

Lemon juice and sunshine take out stains in white clothes....and I used to remove formula stains from baby clothes with equal parts Cascade dishwashing detergent and bleach..............

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 8

Try Yellow Out, that works the best of all I have tired. I had a friends plates and they were really bad, soaked them in yellow out for several days. It did help alot, not perfect but much better then they had been.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 8

There is a new spray paint by Krylon called Fusion made specifically for plastic. It comes in several colors, including white. I have a tall tier cake stand which I bought on eBay which was horribly yellowed when I got it. I tried a lot of remedies to whiten the plastic, but with no success. I was about to give up when I saw the paint at WalMart. It looks almost good as new. Since my cakes have a cardboard circle underneath, and the plates don't come into direct contact with the cake, I feel secure in knowing it will not be a problem.
Just a suggestion. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 8

I'm with those who say just buy new ones. As I understand it, the yellowing is not just the surface ... it actually penetrates the plastic. In the grand scheme of things, they don't really cost that much. Heck, I leave 'em with the bride on some cakes. I don't want them back and I dont' charge for them. It's just not worth the gas and bother to return $8 worth of plastic plates.

rohima Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rohima Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 8

I don't know if this will work with plates and pillars but it always works for me when dishes (eg mugs and so on become stained by tea, or melamine plates when they become yellow from curries).

First is to soak them for several hours in water with a baby sterilising tablet for several hours and then wash with washing up liquid and warm water.

The other method is to soak them in warm water with generous amount of washing powder for several hours and then wash them with washing up liquid and water.

Hope it works.

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:23am
post #8 of 8

Have you tried a diluted bleach solution? I use it on my counter-tops and it even gets out red kool-aide stains. I use cake plates under my cakes so I haven't run into this problem. GL thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%