I Need To Wow My Hunny!

Decorating By diamondsonblackvelvet13 Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 2:25am by diamondsonblackvelvet13

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 8

I need a little help. My DH for some weird reason likes the taste of the three layer chocolate cake you can get in the freezer section of the grocery store. I thinkkkk it is from Mrs. Smith, I wouldn't swear to it tho. So any way, he has been craving one and I am bound and determined to make one that will knock his socks off. He doesn't want ANY decorations or even smooth frosting!
So now here I am begging for help! What would be a wonderful chocolate cake that resembles the texture and flavor of that one. It wasn't super chocolately and the frosting was kind of like a milk chocolate fudge.
(??)

Thanks for helping me wow my Hunny!

7 replies
KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 8

Boy I would love to know the answer to this one too, so hopefully this bump wll help us both out.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 8

Anyone? PUHLEEEEZEEEE!!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 8

Surely someone has an awesome chocolate cake!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 8

Since I'm a mix baker my suggestion would be for a Betty Crocker Milk Chocolate cake. Use milk as the liquid. To keep it nice & moist use a lower temp to bake it. Depending on the size of pan you use I suggest baking it at 300 degrees F for about 20 minutes, then turn the oven up to 325 for about an equal time. Use you nose to tell if it is doneicon_smile.gif If you can smell it it should be done. If it has pulled away from the sides of the pan it probably is overbaked.
I also suggest you try my *original* WASC recipe using a choco mix.
*Original* WASC recipe
1 box cake mix*
1 cup flour
1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup water*
1 cup sour cream*
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon flavoring*

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Best if you use a wire whisk.
PLace wet ingredients in KA mixer bowl. Add about 1/2 the dry ing. mix on low speed (#1) about 30 seconds until all is moistened. Add remaining dry ing and again mix on low (#1)about 30 seconds; beat on med (#5) for 2 minutes. (I have always timed the 2 minutes). Pour into prepared pan(s) and bake at 300 degrees temp -- amount of time depends on the size of the pan(s) -- until you smell it The amount of batter this recipe yields is the same as using 1 & 1/2 mixes.....perfect amount for a 9x13; OR 10" square; 12" round; two 8" rounds OR three 6" rounds. Others too but can't think of them right now.

*NOTES: I have used all different brands but prefere Betty Crocker. Any flavor cake can be used. Match the flavoring to the cake flavor - ie: lemon cake w/lemon flavoring; etc. Most of the time I use a mixture of 1 part vanilla, 1/2 part butter flavor and 1/4 part almond. A part can be any measure you want....teaspoon, tablespoon, cup, quart etc. I keep this mixture on hand for all my baking -- including my icing. If you prefere more of a citrus flavor you can replace the almond w/lemon or orange extract. Flavoring is totally a matter of yoiur taste likes. Don't be afraid to use what y ou like & want; use different combinations until you are satisified with it.
Some people tell me they have used yogurt instead of sour cream.....I haven't
Some people use milk, cream or juice for the liquid. I use water in a Pyrex cup, filling it to the brim....so it's about 1 & 1/3 cup(?)
Some have used cake flour.....I use all-purpose.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 1:36am
post #6 of 8

Thank you kakeladi! I will most certainly try this recipe. Do you by any chance have a recipe for a frosting to go with this?

3inafternoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3inafternoon Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:13am
post #7 of 8

I remember these cakes!! I just saw a chocolate fosting in the recipe section that had chocolate hot fudge topping in it.
If he does not like it -- just undress and smear the cake all over you. I would of done this maybe three kids ago.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:25am
post #8 of 8

icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif Scandalous! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%