Omg I Am Sooooo Frustrated With My Colors!!! Please Help!!!

Decorating By dessertsbydebi Updated 6 Oct 2008 , 1:08pm by dessertsbydebi

dessertsbydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessertsbydebi Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 12:51am
post #1 of 8

I have used Wilton coloring for YEARS and have NEVER had a problem with them!!! I had heard RAVE reviews about americolor and decided to try them! So I bought a few sets of them so I had a wide range of color! This is where the problems begin!!!!!!

I normally decorate in buttercream. When I add the americolor I get these wonderful colors. BUT when I leave it overnight, I wake up the next morning and the colors RUN faster than you can imagine!!! I dont know what to do!!!!! I really LOVE the colors because they make such wonderful brilliant colors but to what expense????

HELP ME PLEASE!!!! Should I just go back to wilton colors??? Does anyone have this problem and how did you deal with it???????

AAAUUUGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

7 replies
redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:46am
post #2 of 8

What do you mean by "running"? Are you seeing drips of color coming out of the icing or something?

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:11am
post #3 of 8

Wow!? i've never had that happen and I have been using americolor for as long as I can remember. i even purchased the electric color and have had no problems? I use IMBC, maybe it's the type of buttercream you're using?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 8

Like others, I'm not sure what you mean by them runninng....yes, I know what colors bleeding looks like but sure don't understand how/why changing brands of coloring should cause it.
Can you post a pic or 2 so we can see?
What is the recipe you are using the colors in. Maybe there is something in the recipe that is contributing to this problem.
Could you be putting too much color in? Americolor is much stronger than Wilton's and takes far less than you are used to using.

dessertsbydebi Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 8

When I say running, I actually mean bleeding. I use sugarshacks recipe for buttercream and use hi ratio in it. I will try using less and see how that works. But for instance, I made a bowling ball cake and wrote on it with pink. It was fine at first but then the black was getting into the pink.

I am really puzzled by this, I also did a guitar cake this week and airbrushed it. Then wrote on the cake with pink. and AGAIN the purple bled into the pink!!! AAUUGGHHH I am SO frustrated!!!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 8

So this is happening not only w/gels but airbrushed colors? That is odd.

dessertsbydebi Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:07pm
post #7 of 8

yes this happens with both...... I can not imagine what in the world could cause it!!!

dessertsbydebi Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:08pm
post #8 of 8

yes this happens with both...... I can not imagine what in the world could cause it!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%