Are Your Clients On Cc?

Decorating By jessfillmore03 Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 3:01am by paddlegirl14

jessfillmore03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfillmore03 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 28

I recently discovered that one of my clients became a member of CC, found out my user name, and perused my posts.
I know the internet is a public place, but this is where I come to have fun, blow off steam and yes, even vent about some of my crazy customers! (Hence the psuedonym here). It totally sucks that I feel like I have to censor what I say in case this person reads it.
Has this happened to anyone else?

27 replies
tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 28

WOW!! That is just plain creepy!! This hasn't happened to me....that I am aware of. How did you find out she was lurking around CC??

jessfillmore03 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 28

She told me! Twice! I kind of blanched when she did, like, ohhhhhh crap. I've posted all sorts of stuff on here that I think is like talking to my friends about crazy people I deal with. I can only imagine what she read!

mayamia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayamia Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 28

thats is pretty crazy, too bad she found out your username

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 28

Is she here (and spying on you) because she wants to be your competition instead of your customer?

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 28

i have never had that happen.. but i dont remember if i have ever said anything that i shouldnt or wouldnt want anyone reading... at least i hope not....

kinda worried now...

jessfillmore03 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 28

There is also a member here who she is friends with, and she apparently reports to her things that she has read from me. She said something like "Oh, this other girl on CC told me that you blah blah blah". Yikes.

Maybe she does want to make cakes! Didn't think about that!

So here I am, starting out with a new name. Hopefully with the thousands of members here, it won't get discovered.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:25pm
post #8 of 28

This is one of the MANY reasons I started posting under a new screen name and have no identifying info on my profile - nor do I post pics.

It was easier to change screen names than to edit myself. LOL!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:28pm
post #9 of 28

I suggest you remove your location as well.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:08am
post #10 of 28

are you embarassed because she is one of the "CRAZY" ones?!?!

haha. sorry this happened. I have thought about "censoring" myself as well....

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:58am
post #11 of 28

Just remember, there is no safe haven on the internet, and especially not on Cake Central, with all the members and visitors. If you want to write stuff, your clients shouldn't see, do the smart thing and mask your identity.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:44pm
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleKitten

This is one of the MANY reasons I started posting under a new screen name and have no identifying info on my profile - nor do I post pics.

It was easier to change screen names than to edit myself. LOL!

Good idea.......I've also recently thought about changing my screen name. Will all the previous posts still be listed under the old screen name, or will they change to the new name?
Is there a way to delete pictures or old posts?

I guess if the founder's of this site wanted to "protect" the members that are in business, they could require a tax I.D. to become a member. Maybe they would consider having a section for members with tax I.D.s.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:50pm
post #13 of 28

I often read here that CC members send potential clients here to peruse the galleries to get ideas.

I just really want to slap them up and scream 'ARE YOU STUPID?'.

I would never send a client here, and neither should anyone else. There are just too many rants and it is just way to easy to find out who people really are.

Like you, PoleKitten. I can tell by the nature of your posts exactly who you used to be.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 3:02pm
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessfillmore03

I recently discovered that one of my clients became a member of CC, found out my user name, and perused my posts.
I know the internet is a public place, but this is where I come to have fun, blow off steam and yes, even vent about some of my crazy customers! (Hence the psuedonym here). It totally sucks that I feel like I have to censor what I say in case this person reads it.
Has this happened to anyone else?

I worry about this myself, and have debated changing my profile to not show my biz name or something...I have had clients send me photos from here of cakes they liked, so I suspect people do come here that aren't Cake People....
I guess just be careful about things you say!

jessfillmore03 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 7:56pm
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgirl899

are you embarassed because she is one of the "CRAZY" ones?!?!

haha. sorry this happened. I have thought about "censoring" myself as well....

No, I never posted anything about her per se...BUT, STILL, I have been known to run my mouth or cause a rucous or two! icon_redface.gif

Someone one time said Never put anything on CC that you wouldn't want your grandma reading. Well, that's true. But at the same time, I really liked coming here to vent about stuff. I guess this will be my new ID for ranting, and just use the other one to post pics! icon_lol.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 8:55pm
post #16 of 28

Did you know you can sort the memberlist by location? Someone might do that to see if others from their area are on CC. It would not take a lot of effort to put 2 and 2 together to figure out your new username. If you are really from Destin FL, I again suggest you remove your location from your profile. If you aren't from Destin, and it's part of your ruse, then there is no reason to worry about that.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:26pm
post #17 of 28

How do you change your user name? I tried changing it in "My Forum Info", but it didn't change.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:33pm
post #18 of 28

You have to email the admins to change your username. In some forums, you can change your name this way, but they blocked the option in CC.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 11:34pm
post #19 of 28

I tried to change mine, too. I sent an email, as instructed in the help section, but did not get response in the 24 hour period stated. Sent second email today, and I'm still waiting for reply.

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:02am
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdlgdl

I tried to change mine, too. I sent an email, as instructed in the help section, but did not get response in the 24 hour period stated. Sent second email today, and I'm still waiting for reply.

Good luck icon_lol.gif I sent them an e-mail months ago and never got a response nor was my name changed icon_confused.gif

dbax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dbax Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:27am
post #21 of 28

When I started decorating cakes I found CC by accident while seaching for a specific cake. After realizing I had to log on to see it I went on my merry way until I was directed back to CC for the many other searches I went on.... forums, recipes and pics and that's when I decided to become a member.
I would think if someone wanted to see some great cake photos they would become a member. Having them activly search out a decorator is one thing but to search out thier posts is strange IMO kinda creepy icon_confused.gif

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:28am
post #22 of 28

I was reading a rant on here one day and noticed that the writer had a link to her company's web site at the bottom of her post. I clicked on it and knew exactly where she was located, the name of her company, and her company's phone number. All I could think was "Are ya NUTS?!?!?" icon_confused.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:29am
post #23 of 28

Sue W,
I hope I have better luck than you did. I guess I'll keep pestering them until I get results.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:30am
post #24 of 28

Yea..that IS creepy. I personally don't share Cake Central with anyone. Well other than my sis and sis in law. Cake Central is MY secret.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:30am
post #25 of 28

What's really bad is the ppl that have their business names on their pics, or their websites, and then post cake disasters!! uh, oh, bad mistake if a potential customer reads it!

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:41am
post #26 of 28

That's something I've thought about since I 1st logged on here as a member....you never know who's going to be reading it. I know this is the decorators place to talk to one another, but as mentioned it's a public place too. I always cringe when I see people talking about how ugly a brides cake is going to be, but that's what she wants. Can you imagine if the bride were reading that? Oh my!

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:47am
post #27 of 28

For the record....I know a lot of you say it sounds creepy for a client to come on here & search out a decorator. However, if I were going to be purchasing a wedding cake & found out there was a place I could "look in" on the decorator to make sure they know what they're doing & not asking questions about things that I would assume they already know how to do. You bet I'd be checking in on that! Sorry, just my opinion, but I think that's a smart client doing good research, rather than creepy.

paddlegirl14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paddlegirl14 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 3:01am
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Quote:

I guess if the founder's of this site wanted to "protect" the members that are in business, they could require a tax I.D. to become a member. Maybe they would consider having a section for members with tax I.D.s.

That is s good idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%