Just Wanted To Ask And Verify A Few Things

Decorating By luvhavinbgtwins Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 12:31am by FromScratch

luvhavinbgtwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvhavinbgtwins Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 18

Whated to ask w/ makeing BC icing what is the best Crisco to use....I know there was talk about some kind changing
What I am using is 2lbs ps, milk 2tbsp vanilla, 1 1/3 cup cristo and dream whip.....
How long in advise can I make this and leave it out w/out going bad.(on the counter)

The next ? is I am making MMF I know you have to make this atleast 24 hours in advise but how soon can you make and wrap and leave out.

I thought there was something else but I dont remember, I am going to the store tomorrow to get everything so next week I can just bake bake bake....but I work the day before the party so that is why I am asking how long so I can make as much as I can early...

Thanks

17 replies
luvhavinbgtwins Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 18

I know what I forgot.. on the MMF do you have to only use name brand MM?

Thanks

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 18

I think there is only one Crisco - just don't get the butter-flavored.

Your BC can sit on the counter covered for a few weeks (nothing in your recipe is going to make it spoil) - just check the consistency and re-whip if needed.

Same with the MMF - you can wrap it and leave out for a few weeks.

Not sure if there is a specific brand of MM that is better....maybe someone who does MMF more than I can answer that.

luvhavinbgtwins Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 18

So using store brand is ok over name brand crisco?

Thanks so much

Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 18

I typically use Crisco, I've tried store brands, just don't do it when you don't have time to mess around. Just in case it doesn't work. I don't use name brand mm, I like the mm from BJs. Again it's all in what you're used to.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 18

I personally wouldn't leave icing sitting on the counter for 2 weeks if it has been made with milk. I know there is a consensus among many who say that the sugar in the icing keeps the milk from spoiling but I just wouldn't risk it. I would water in its place if you are planning to leave it sitting out...Good Luck!

Tammi

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 18

With MMF you can use any brand. I use the store brand without an issue. The store brand comes in 16 oz bag which works out well for a large batch of MMF. The kraft brand only comes in 10 oz bags.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:59pm
post #8 of 18

Store brand isn't used as much so you risk it tasting old. That happened to my mom and me once so now we only use name brand.
Name brand MM's are the best and you can get them pretty cheap at Target. (cheapest in my area.)
Fondant can last for at least a month or more after you make it. Just make sure it is double wrapped and then put in a Ziplock bag. Also smear a layer of crisco on the fondant before wrapping it.
You can also freeze MMF for up to 6 months.
Jen...

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:01pm
post #9 of 18

I think I have been lucky. My local albertsons has a high turnover with the mini marshmallows and they are alway fresh (and a heck of a lot cheaper).

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:04pm
post #10 of 18

oops I meant the crisco can taste old. icon_redface.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:18pm
post #11 of 18

I've read on CC some have used Wal-Mart's Great Value brand shortening and they think it was fine. I personally haven't do that.......well now......I think I have a can right now and used it to make one batch of icing. I'll be making more in a day or two w/that same can. I'll look to see if it is for sure GV.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:27pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

I've read on CC some have used Wal-Mart's Great Value brand shortening and they think it was fine. I personally haven't do that.......well now......I think I have a can right now and used it to make one batch of icing. I'll be making more in a day or two w/that same can. I'll look to see if it is for sure GV.

I am one of those who uses Walmart Great Value shortening exclusively. I have NEVER used the Crisco name brand. I've made MMF a few times and have used Jet Puff as well as the store brand. Both were fine for me.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:43pm
post #13 of 18

If you are using milk to thin your BC, then you will have no issues with it spoiling. The low liquid to sugar and fat ratio makes it shelf stable. There is no risk.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:47pm
post #14 of 18

I've used all different kinds and DON'T use Crisco anymore due to the transfat deal. I've used all different kinds of MM as well.

I would NOT let the BC sit out as there is cream in it (or milk). JMO.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:26pm
post #15 of 18

THe buttercream recipe you've posted is my recipe. I leave it sit on the counter for 2+ weeks and it is just fine. Been doing that for 25 years. I also never use anything but crisco .... with this recipe, I never encountered any of the zero-trans-fat issues that other folks encountered.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:57pm
post #16 of 18

My Wal-mart carries a 16 oz bag of Kraft mini-marshmellows. I've only made marshmellow fondant a couple of times..but that's what I have used. Now that I know that other people use the store brand, I will give it a whirl and see how it works for me.

Happy baking!

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:25am
post #17 of 18

I make MMF quite often and only use Kraft marshmallows. I have tried the generic brands and for whatever reason, it just didn't turn out. It's like it didn't want to hold the shape even after I kept adding powdered sugar.

I only use Crisco shortening too. I tried a generic shortening before and it was nasty.

KimAZ

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:31am
post #18 of 18

I was on Baking 9 1 1 before it became a pay site.. and someone sent the BC with heavy cream in it to a food lab and it was indeed shelf stable and didn't need to be refridgerated. If you are only using a few TBSP to thin it out then there is no issue.. now if it makes up more than 1/4 of your whole recipe.. that's different, but not if it's barely more than trace amount.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%