How Do You Make Flat Undomed Tops For Cuppies?

Baking By calicopurr Updated 30 Sep 2008 , 12:06am by mjarvis78

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 8

I was hoping someone could tell me how to make a flat cupcake? I've seen how pretty they can be. Should I not use as many eggs or what? I like using cake mixes if that helps any. Maybe I need a stratch cuppiecake mix with less baking powder or baking soda?

Please help. I need them for a baby shower. Thank you for helping.
Cat

7 replies
lane52403 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lane52403 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 8

I'm sure there is a better way, but I have leveled them before. I like using mixes also when I'm making them for my kids...ages 2 and 3. It's hardly worth the hassle for kids that lick off the frosting and throw the cake on the floor. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 8

I read a tip somewhere and tried it once, and it worked great. (Wish I could give credit where it's due! It's from a how-to with a cupcake cake.) I'm sure others have used it as well. When I took the cupcakes out of the oven, I covered them with a piece of wax (or parchment paper) and put a cookie sheet on top of them and weighted it down with something heavy enough to press it down, like a glass bowl or a canned veggie or something. I left it on there for however long the box said to let them cool in the pan, (10 min maybe?) and then took them all out and let them cool uncovered like normal. All the cupcakes were flat on top and the same height. Worked great!

Hope this helps!

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 8

Try filling them with less batter - I measure mine out with an icecream scoop so they are all consistant in size/height - use less batter, that works for me!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicopurr

I was hoping someone could tell me how to make a flat cupcake? I've seen how pretty they can be. Should I not use as many eggs or what? I like using cake mixes if that helps any. Maybe I need a stratch cuppiecake mix with less baking powder or baking soda?

Cat

I use a 60 ml coffee/ icecream scoop of batter for each cupcake when making standard size cupcakes. I have never had to level or flatten my cupcakes using this method.

Cake_Princess Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:

Cat

I use a 60 ml coffee/ icecream scoop of batter for each cupcake when making standard size cupcakes. I have never had to level or flatten my cupcakes using this method.

Cake_Princess Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 10:03pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:

Cat

mjarvis78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjarvis78 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 12:06am
post #8 of 8

I bake mine at 325 for an even top. Also it help to underfill them a little.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%