Newbie Here...need Buttercream Advice (Sorry!)

Decorating By LisaD923 Updated 30 Sep 2008 , 3:36am by SeriousCakes

LisaD923 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaD923 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone,
I'm so sorry to be posting what has probably been asked and answered a million times, but I'm new to cake decorating (w/in the past 6 mos- 1yr) and need your help. icon_redface.gif

Ok, I have a basic chocolate buttercream that my family/friends love...basically it's 2 sticks (sorry I had 4 sticks that's not right!!!), 1/2 c crisco, 1 lb plus confec sugar, little vanilla, dash salt, melted chocolate.

It slightly crusts and the taste is really good...of course I'm open to new recipes if you have ones to offer!

Couple of questions:
1. if using the recipe stated above, does a cake iced with this need to be refrigerated? How long can it sit out? few hours, few days, etc?

2. I often see people talking about using heavy cream or water in their buttercreams. Are these stable enough to sit out or do they need to be refrigerated?

3. I have a friend that wants to take one of my choc layer cakes on a 3 hr road trip. Will a plastic cake carrier work or will the buttercream "melt" in one? Should a cake box be used?

4. Any additional tips/recipes that might help me out here?

Basically looking for a very stable, yet yummy buttercream (choc and plain) that is stable to sit out and can be decorated with.

Sorry so many questions...please forgive the newbie! Looking forward to learning from you all!!! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 5

First off, welcome to CC. You will find tons of information and great support here!

As far as recipes, check out the site. There are some great one right here. Personally, I am in love with Indydebi's buttercream (it is in the recipe section here on CC). It crusts great, you can adjust the consistancy for flowers or whatever, and it tastes good too.

As for chocolate, I love Toba Garrett's Chocolate Buttercream http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/CHOCOLATE-BUTTERCREAM-109248

I have even left out the chocolate liqouer, it still tasted fabulous.

I would put any cake traveling into a cake box, just to protect it. As for traveling, I think that either of the recipes above would be fine in a car as long as the air conditioning was on and the vents were pointed at the cake. You want to keep any cake as cool as possible!

HTH,
Mandi

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 5

.......basically it's 4 sticks butter, 1/2 c crisco, 1 lb plus confec sugar, little vanilla, dash salt, melted chocolate.....It slightly crusts ...

Wow, that's heavy on the fat! I am very surprised it crusts at all. I would add another 1# of sugar.
......people talking about using heavy cream or water in their buttercreams. Are these stable enough to sit out or do they need to be refrigerated?.........
The sugar is a preservative so it can sit out once on a cake. To sdtore for another use frig up to 2-3 weeks. Longer storage fz.
.......take one of my choc layer cakes on a 3 hr road trip. Will a plastic cake carrier work or will the buttercream "melt"......
With the weather in PA it should be just fine. If it is small enough, have her put it in an ice chest....

For one of the best icing recipe on the net try SugarShacks. There are many threads about it on here w/many, many helps, tips and variations.

LisaD923 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaD923 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 5

whoops! sorry it doesn't have 4 sticks!!! it's 2 sticks! Thanks for the info! I didn't know that about the sugar being a preservative!!!

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 3:36am
post #5 of 5

Yeah, don't do the plastic carrier! I've had several cakes where the frosting starts to break down, even though before I put the lid on they were completely crusted over! I did a test, we went on vacation, just a 2 hour drive on a cool day, I took some leftover cake we had from a party, just to see what would happen. By the time I re-opened the carrier the frosting was 'wet' and droopy. I had even put in a bc rose that had originally been stiff enough for me to pick up with my fingers, but that turned into just a blob.
Anyway, here's my recipes, love love love them, easy to find ingredients, easy to throw together.
Buttercream:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%